What would you think if...

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

What I listed IS what happens at the show time... There is just a STRONG desire by some, for adjudication to look like a deduction rating on finite 'errors'

Crack a note... Lose a point.

Drop a rifle... Lose a point.

Etc.

Sounds like the old tic system 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Just now, PamahoNow said:

You mean there are some who want to go back to some sort of the TICK system?  

I think it's the only system they see.

2 hours ago, garfield said:

And therein lies the failure of your argument.

If the "quality of sound" is judged in the sheets, those who can, do, and get credit and those who can't suffer coming in below in the placements.

Winning by checkbook anyone?

His position has more and more apparently become "I don't care about the issues of parity caused by A&E, I just want horns amplified because it provides a better quality of sound" 

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I think it's the only system they see.

Or some want to see scores reflect mistakes be it by members or equipment

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Exactly.  What's confusing MarimbaManiac is he's presenting his facts as if this were some neutral activity in search of the most amazing technologically enhanced product possible when in fact it's a competition where the participants will use the technology to highlight their strengths and erase their weaknesses.  It's unavoidable.  

The loss of environmental challenges as a fundamental skill for each performer is being completely ignored.  Now what used to be a measurable skill is now a setting on a sound board.  The same can be said of dynamic contrast.   Need that 2nd mellophone to be a bit louder?  I'll just push this slider!  

And the best answer given to why this should all be done is because we can.  

Sprinters could go much faster if they all rode Kawasaki Ninjas?  Science says they'll go faster.  So it's a good idea right?  

Swimmers were wearing suits that made them so much faster that they made old times completely obsolete.  And yet FINA outlawed them!  Why? Because their use -- although technologically superior -- was detrimental to the nature of the sport. 

Sometimes enhancement is a BAD IDEA.

Measuring how well human performers could manage the challenges of their environment is a fundamental part of what makes drum corps, drum corps.  

Wow, I couldn't have articulated this better, the part that I bolded in particular. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

What I listed IS what happens at the show time... There is just a STRONG desire by some, for adjudication to look like a deduction rating on finite 'errors'

Crack a note... Lose a point.

Drop a rifle... Lose a point.

Etc.

Don't have your soloist, who is carrying your melody, audible for half your show, lose no points.

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Or some want to see scores reflect mistakes be it by members or equipment

They reflect achievement.

But some people want it to reflect misadventure.

"Alright, I'll be your judge for the night.  I'll be accounting for your screw ups... Every little one... Even the ones that you can't control.  After all, THAT is why we are here.  I'm watching you.  And don't forget to have fun!"

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Don't have your soloist, who is carrying your melody, audible for half your show, lose no points.

What are you referring to?

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

They reflect achievement.

But some people want it to reflect misadventure.

"Alright, I'll be your judge for the night.  I'll be accounting for your screw ups... Every little one... Even the ones that you can't control.  After all, THAT is why we are here.  I'm watching you.  And don't forget to have fun!"

Honestly do you see people as wanting all one side or the other and nothing in between? 

You make it sound like having a combo tick/GE scoring setup made life hell for the performers. If you had the right attitude it helped drive you to perform the cleanest show you could do. But that put the onus on the performers which seems not to be the case today with design driving the deal.

• Like 1