What would you think if...

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

it didn't work back in the day either ( the tic system that is )

Never meant it was perfect and I marched three Sr circuits with three levels of what was ticable so I know first hand. Tic system was subjective just as much as if a corps hits Box5 or whatever buzz word is being used

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

They reflect achievement.

But some people want it to reflect misadventure.

"Alright, I'll be your judge for the night.  I'll be accounting for your screw ups... Every little one... Even the ones that you can't control.  After all, THAT is why we are here.  I'm watching you.  And don't forget to have fun!"

All mistakes that occur on the field are within the control of the members. 

20 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

There is just a STRONG desire by some, for adjudication to look like a deduction rating on finite 'errors'

Are there infinite errors in drum corps?

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are there infinite errors in drum corps?

Oh man let’s no go there 😈

8 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

They reflect achievement.

But some people want it to reflect misadventure.

If you're adventure goes awry, can you be said to have achieved it?

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Never meant it was perfect and I marched three Sr circuits with three levels of what was ticable so I know first hand. Tic system was subjective just as much as if a corps hits Box5 or whatever buzz word is being used

You are right BUT the tic system was just as subjective as it is today...maybe worse because judges had little accountability. Ive taught and judged under both

Edited by GUARDLING

Just now, Cappybara said:

All mistakes that occur on the field are within the control of the members. 

1. I'd be willing to stipulate that some (very few) actual mistakes that have happened over the years are not within the control of the corps.

2. And in recent years, there have been a number of mistakes that are within the control of the corps, but NOT within the control of the members.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You are right BUT the tic system was just as subjective as it is today...maybe worse because judges had little accountability. Ive taught and judged under both

I thought we are agreeing that both GE and today’s system are subjective. So don’t understand the BUT

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Honestly do you see people as wanting all one side or the other and nothing in between? 

You make it sound like having a combo tick/GE scoring setup made life hell for the performers. If you had the right attitude it helped drive you to perform the cleanest show you could do. But that put the onus on the performers which seems not to be the case today with design driving the deal.

We HAVE the middle road right now.  They are rated on content and achievement (with demonstrable inter-rater reliability).

Some are choosing to pretend that we don't by complaining about a corps not losing a point for a specific fracked note or a hiccup in a mic feed.