What would you think if...

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you mean when Bluecoats were starting to expirement and master a lot of what we hear now? Tilt was beloved....yet a lot of what people are #####ing about in this thread was being utilized then.

You've actually hit on the problem: just because something works in one context doesn't mean it's appropriate for every show.

I think modern drum corps had a Renaissance starting in 2013 that lasted until 2016, but with some hints in that last year of the (probably temporary) decline that followed. It's only natural that an activity like drum corps will have trends of better and worse productions. It happens in all the arts.

Since 2016, there has been a trend toward less drill (and especially less drill while playing), toward pre-recorded singing, and toward amplifying the whole field or at least large swaths of the corps (which can sound very unnatural -- this year in particular many corps sound, as I said earlier in this discussion, like we're listening to them underwater). And the explanations offered by the panel tonight on "Big, Loud and Live" were highly unsatisfactory.

But this trend will probably turn around. I generally opposed amplified vocals, as used particularly by Crown, BAC and Madison in 2004, BD in 2005, and Cadets in 2006, 2007, and 2008. But Bloo and Crown 2007 showed that it could be done effectively for comedy, and Crown in 2013 showed it could be used masterfully for serious work. I also despise, with every element of my being, the thunderous goo that became so prevalent in 2010. But it had diminished tremendously by 2013. (Sadly it's made something of a comeback.) There was at least acknowledgement in tonight's short BLL panel discussion that the amplified sound at times is very hard on the ears, which is the first time I've heard any corps staff member admit that fact in 10 years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

You're wrong. I know kids out here that love what they do, but they love it all. They are just happy to be able to participate and learn and the style doesn't matter.

See I can do that too.

ok you believe that

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Do the kids today love drum corps more today than the kids five years ago loved drum corps then?

Who loves "Beneath the Surface" more than "Inferno" and "Relentless"?

here's the thing:

if kids didn't like it, they wouldn't pay all that money to do it. Hell I know someone who turned down a chance at a ring in the Cadets because he didn't want to cut his hair. I know someone who turned down a shot at a ring because they hated jazz. 

kids doing it are just like fans...you don't like it, you don't do it. Except sadly drum corps fans still go then ##### incessantly about it

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You've actually hit on the problem: just because something works in one context doesn't mean it's appropriate for every show.

I think modern drum corps had a Renaissance starting in 2013 that lasted until 2016, but with some hints in that last year of the (probably temporary) decline that followed. It's only natural that an activity like drum corps will have trends of better and worse productions. It happens in all the arts.

Since 2016, there has been a trend toward less drill (and especially less drill while playing), toward pre-recorded singing, and toward amplifying the whole field or at least large swaths of the corps (which can sound very unnatural -- this year in particular many corps sound, as I said earlier in this discussion, like we're listening to them underwater). And the explanations offered by the panel tonight on "Big, Loud and Live" were highly unsatisfactory.

But this trend will probably turn around. I generally opposed amplified vocals, as used particularly by Crown, BAC and Madison in 2004, BD in 2005, and Cadets in 2006, 2007, and 2008. But Bloo and Crown 2007 showed that it could be done effectively for comedy, and Crown in 2013 showed it could be used masterfully for serious work. I also despise, with every element of my being, the thunderous goo that became so prevalent in 2010. But it had diminished tremendously by 2013. (Sadly it's made something of a comeback.) There was at least acknowledgement in tonight's short BLL panel discussion that the amplified sound at times is very hard on the ears, which is the first time I've heard any corps staff member admit that fact in 10 years.

i think it started in 11 and continues through this season. 

and as we have seen for decades...something new comes out, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. ya know....first we zigged, then everyone zigged.

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

here's the thing:

if kids didn't like it, they wouldn't pay all that money to do it. Hell I know someone who turned down a chance at a ring in the Cadets because he didn't want to cut his hair. I know someone who turned down a shot at a ring because they hated jazz.

kids doing it are just like fans...you don't like it, you don't do it. Except sadly drum corps fans still go then ##### incessantly about it

But nobody's saying they don't like it. What jjeffeory is saying that they liked it just as much before full-field amplification.

• Like 2

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

i think it started in 11 and continues through this season.

Seeking clarification: what started in 2011?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok you believe that

Haha, I've already talked to many kids about it.

Honestly, I don't give a #### really. I just don't like to be called out about something that I've asked kids from different areas of the country about.

But, hey, go ahead be you and I'll be me.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But nobody's saying they don't like it. What jjeffeory is saying that they liked it just as much before full-field amplification.

but that doesnt mean they want to do older style shows....of which 2013 is now. just as when i started marching in 1989, i didnt want to do 1984 shows

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Seeking clarification: what started in 2011?

Renaissance

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

Haha, I've already talked to many kids about it.

Honestly, I don't give a #### really. I just don't like to be called out about something that I've asked kids from different areas of the country about.

But, hey, go ahead be you and I'll be me.

oh I will be me.