What would you think if...

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

oh I will be me.

...as will I, as I've been doing as long as you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

but that doesnt mean they want to do older style shows....of which 2013 is now. just as when i started marching in 1989, i didnt want to do 1984 shows

Kids today looking back at 1989 shows and 1984 shows probably couldn't tell the difference between the two.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Renaissance [started in 2011]

Interesting. 2011 had the visual delights of Cadets' "Angels & Demons"; the musical lushness of BD's Bacharach music (with those dumb white houses, though); the last example of Michael Gaines old kaleidoscopic drill for Cavaliers, "Rach Star"; which annoyed me at the beginning of the season but which I do love; Phantom's second-to-last good show in "Juliet"; Madison's best show of the decade though sadly the absolute highlight didn't make the video, and all but one of the other Finalist shows were at least half good ("reBourne" is the exception), while apart from Glassmen's vampire show, almost nothing outside of Finals sticks in my memory. But the goo was still very bad that year. I'll have to give this some more thought. Thanks for responding.

I don't do disrespect. I'm respectful to others and I will not tolerate not being treated as a person and with respect.  So, that's that over any merit of conversation.

N E. Brigade was right in what I meant.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, One n Done said:

....you learned that a top 6 drum corps had wireless mic’s on over 30 of it’s brass players?  What about tempo remotely broadcast to in-ear units on performers in the field?

What's curious, especially in light of the panel discussion on "Big Loud & Live" tonight, is that, if you are correct that this is happening, the corps in question isn't admitting to it.

I mean, if doing these things is good, why be shy about telling the world you're doing it?

So either no corps is doing what you're saying, or the corps who is doing it is embarrassed to be doing it.

I don't know which is correct.

• Thanks 1

Because of this thread, I looked at the closeups of the top six closely.  I looked at horn bells for microphones. I looked at ears for earbuds.  While I saw the occasional mic, I didn’t see enough that it was half the hornline.  Other than the pit and a few soloists, I didn’t see a lot of earbuds.  If anyone is doing this, it’s pretty stealthy.  

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What's curious, especially in light of the panel discussion on "Big Loud & Live" tonight, is that, if you are correct that this is happening, the corps in question isn't admitting to it.

I mean, if doing these things is good, why be shy about telling the world you're doing it?

So either no corps is doing what you're saying, or the corps who is doing it is embarrassed to be doing it.

I don't know which is correct.

Not so sure it’s quite as black and white as your questions, Brigand.  Certain people on here need things to be THIS or THAT, but life is more often shades of gray.  I think teams are taking rules right to the edge with sound reinforcement.  In a couple instances, they’ve actually crossed that line.  Placements matter.  Competitors always seek an edge.

Do I think it’s NECESSARY to mic 30 odd brass players wirelessly?  No.  Does it violate a rule?  No.  Do I think it provides an advantage?  Yes.  Can all in the top 12, let alone the “have nots” well outside the top 12, afford this?  No.  So, does it seem a bit disingenuous and/or unfair to do what the group in question is doing?  I think so.

There have been some well presented cases in this discussion for the pro’s to audio engineering in the activity.  Better quality sound, players not having to blow the horn apart, greater freedom in staging, etc...  These seem like valid and plausible points to me.  The activity left the VFW, tick system, and other things behind (in part) in a quest for greater creative freedom over the years.  Reaching for new ways to engage an audience is nothing new.

Again, for me, it’s a question of competition and “fair play”.  It is overly simplistic, given the disparity in corps budgets, to say that since a certain group has the means and isn’t breaking a rule that they can mic 30+ brass players individually, and that it’s truly “fair”.  Do I begrudge any corps for their financial strength?  Absolutely not.  It means they can tour, teach, and learn well and hopefully have a great experience.  It IS the member corps that ultimately decide their own rules.  So, it’s a head scratcher as to why a majority would sign on to something when their 2-3 million dollar operating budget is up against a small minority of groups operating with 3-4 times that funding.  I’m not one for putting a leash on art, but I do think sound reinforcement could use more regulation than what has been opted for at this time.

Edited by One n Done

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I don't do disrespect. I'm respectful to others and I will not tolerate not being treated as a person and with respect.  So, that's that over any merit of conversation.

N E. Brigade was right in what I meant.

Yeah, we got a few real “peaches” holding court in here don’t we?  ✌️

1 hour ago, One n Done said:

Yeah, we got a few real “peaches” holding court in here don’t we?  ✌️

Some feel entitled to be jerks sometimes; maybe because they have been around for a while, but I've been around just as long, but I try to spread respect with my disagreements.

Nobody knows everything, but my input comes from living in 9 states and having students all over and being involved in the marching arts over 35 years, so I feel I'm not totally out of touch...

I just don't talk about my background at all.

Respect is #1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

Completely disagree. Judging standards are decided with both judges and corps during the meetings. Judges don't just decide all by themselves what and how to evaluate their captions.

Okay, then judges/designers/instructors suddenly decide, as a community, that the new "option" is the preferred sound.  The result is the same.

• Like 1