What would you think if...

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

but that doesnt mean they want to do older style shows....of which 2013 is now. just as when i started marching in 1989, i didnt want to do 1984 shows

Well, no one wants to devote the time/effort to march, and have their corps branded as "older style" and punished competitively because of it.  Not sure how much you can infer about personal preferences based on that.

4 hours ago, One n Done said:

Again, for me, it’s a question of competition and “fair play”.  It is overly simplistic, given the disparity in corps budgets, to say that since a certain group has the means and isn’t breaking a rule that they can mic 30+ brass players individually, and that it’s truly “fair”.  Do I begrudge any corps for their financial strength?  Absolutely not.  It means they can tour, teach, and learn well and hopefully have a great experience.  It IS the member corps that ultimately decide their own rules.  So, it’s a head scratcher as to why a majority would sign on to something when their 2-3 million dollar operating budget is up against a small minority of groups operating with 3-4 times that funding.  I’m not one for putting a leash on art, but I do think sound reinforcement could use more regulation than what has been opted for at this time.

DCI is a competitive league.  If a corps wants to do "art", they can go out on their own and make their own art (i.e. Blast), free from the inevitable restrictions of a competitive league.

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

If you listened to the interview Dennis Delucia had this evening with the three people, you saw exactly what I was saying is true. Hardy naive. Miccing was added to improve the sound, first of the pit, then soloists and now more of the brass. The sound engineer who works with Bloo gave a very good explanation of how they are using amplification for sound reinforcement. Wayne Dillon spoke about field brass judging and how they are judging the individual performance of the performers. Both of them were saying things I have said here. 

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Since 2016, there has been a trend toward less drill (and especially less drill while playing), toward pre-recorded singing, and toward amplifying the whole field or at least large swaths of the corps (which can sound very unnatural -- this year in particular many corps sound, as I said earlier in this discussion, like we're listening to them underwater). And the explanations offered by the panel tonight on "Big, Loud and Live" were highly unsatisfactory.

I did not see the theater-cast.  Am I correct to understand that they devoted theater time to interviews pleading the case for amp-the-whole-corps, amp-every-solo, and/or other uses of electronics? 

Something to note about the interviewer - according to yamaha.com, Dennis DeLucia is a Yamaha Performing Artist.

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I did not see the theater-cast.  Am I correct to understand that they devoted theater time to interviews pleading the case for amp-the-whole-corps, amp-every-solo, and/or other uses of electronics? 

Something to note about the interviewer - according to yamaha.com, Dennis DeLucia is a Yamaha Performing Artist.

I doubt that Yamaha is using Dennis to tout electronics.  Maybe drum sticks, keyboards and drums.

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Dennis is a drummer... From way back.  Way, way, way back.

I know some of the things that Dennis has said off of video.  Your willful conspiracy doesn't fit him.  Not even a little.

The money that Yamaha makes from marching is nothing.  Their money is in regular sales, largely to rental programs... Think pianos and flutes... Not amps and marching snares.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, then judges/designers/instructors suddenly decide, as a community, that the new "option" is the preferred sound.  The result is the same.

Which is exactly what they did, then they ratified it by awarding build-up score points to those who have the gear, and didn't for those who don't.

Isn't that the way this activity has been judged since its very beginning?  It's not as if they are judged by outsiders giving a completely unbiased viewpoint.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Which is exactly what they did, then they ratified it by awarding build-up score points to those who have the gear, and didn't for those who don't.

Isn't that the way this activity has been judged since its very beginning?  It's not as if they are judged by outsiders giving a completely unbiased viewpoint.

When the propsal is for 'options' then there is no unification of design approach.  It's like calling a convetion of existential philosophers.  The old phrase is "herding cats".  And we can see this in the diversity of usage and design all the way through the ranks.

There is no one 'new sound' in "options".

Edited by cfirwin3

9 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Dennis is a drummer... From way back.  Way, way, way back.

I know some of the things that Dennis has said off of video.  Your willful conspiracy doesn't fit him.  Not even a little.

I know Dennis.  From way back.  Way, way, way back.

"Conspiracy" is not the right word, but the activity is driven (designed AND scored) by old (sorry, I'm old so I can't use that.  How about "insiders") guys who have willful intent to drive the activity in a particular direction.

If Yamaha happens to sell equipment that makes that possible, and if Yamaha is paying Dennis to represent them, does Dennis recuse himself from decisions related to that direction?

I think not.

It's DCI's schtick to be nepostic, and they do it so very well.  :tongue:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

DeLucia was the moderator of a previously recorded brief discussion (less than five minutes, certainly) of the subject, featuring the sound engineer for Bluecoats, arranger for Crown, and DCI's music judge liaison. It was meant to explain what corps are doing and why and how judges are supposed to evaluate it.

• Like 2