What would you think if...

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I did not see the theater-cast.  Am I correct to understand that they devoted theater time to interviews pleading the case for amp-the-whole-corps, amp-every-solo, and/or other uses of electronics? 

Something to note about the interviewer - according to yamaha.com, Dennis DeLucia is a Yamaha Performing Artist.

I have known Dennis a long time. He is not going to shill for Yamaha as you are intimating. 

as to the interview, no, they were not "pleading" for anything. They were explaining what they are doing in their various areas of expertise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Dennis is a drummer... From way back.  Way, way, way back.

I know some of the things that Dennis has said off of video.  Your willful conspiracy doesn't fit him.  Not even a little.

The money that Yamaha makes from marching is nothing.  Their money is in regular sales, largely to rental programs... Think pianos and flutes... Not amps and marching snares.

Who said "conspiracy"?  This is business.

(And to suggest Yamaha makes no money from amps or marching snares... ?)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Since 2016, there has been a trend toward less drill (and especially less drill while playing), toward pre-recorded singing, and toward amplifying the whole field or at least large swaths of the corps (which can sound very unnatural -- this year in particular many corps sound, as I said earlier in this discussion, like we're listening to them underwater). And the explanations offered by the panel tonight on "Big, Loud and Live" were highly unsatisfactory.

But this trend will probably turn around. I generally opposed amplified vocals, as used particularly by Crown, BAC and Madison in 2004, BD in 2005, and Cadets in 2006, 2007, and 2008. But Bloo and Crown 2007 showed that it could be done effectively for comedy, and Crown in 2013 showed it could be used masterfully for serious work. I also despise, with every element of my being, the thunderous goo that became so prevalent in 2010. But it had diminished tremendously by 2013. (Sadly it's made something of a comeback.) There was at least acknowledgement in tonight's short BLL panel discussion that the amplified sound at times is very hard on the ears, which is the first time I've heard any corps staff member admit that fact in 10 years.

Crown's singing in 2004 as a great step forward. In this era, Bloo's vocalist last season was a highlight for me.LOVED her contribution to the show. The Cadets vocalist in 2006 was also great. 

The interview last evening was excellent, IMO. I totally disagree about corps sounding "under water". I love the sound today. As in any era, a few corps have issues with the sound, some are amazing and others are someplace along the spectrum. 

56 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

When the propsal is for 'options' then there is no unification of design approach.  It's like calling a convetion of existential philosophers.  The old phrase is "herding cats".  And we can see this in the diversity of usage and design all the way through the ranks.

Then I will repeat the question.  Where is the diversity with these "options"?

any-key brass (every DCI corps uses Bb/F)

pit amplification (every corps amplifies marimbas)

electronic instruments (every corps uses a synthesizer)

solo amplification (every corps amplifies brass soloists)

The twisting and conspiracy theorizing that some people are grasping at here would be hilarious if it wasn't so nutty. 

Maybe they just decided that A&E added value to the shows and contribute to a more professional and pleasing production, and they are rewarding the groups that are taking advantage of these new options to create better products? Maybe it's as simple as accepting that the judges and designers believe A&E makes corps sounds better and assists with clarity of intent? 

Drum corps is a niche activity. Well, the marching arts as a whole is a niche activity, with drum corps being a small subset of that. To suggest that there is some conspiratorial lobbying going on to change the rules just to sell field systems to 30 or so units, is insane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

DeLucia was the moderator of a previously recorded brief discussion (less than five minutes, certainly) of the subject, featuring the sound engineer for Bluecoats, arranger for Crown, and DCI's music judge liaison. It was meant to explain what corps are doing and why and how judges are supposed to evaluate it.

"supposed"

Seeing that sound engineer and knowing He is not within the age requirements sorta just rubs me the wrong way. I saw the previously posted interview not the one discussed that DeLucia did. 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

The twisting and conspiracy theorizing that some people are grasping at here would be hilarious if it wasn't so nutty. 

Maybe they just decided that A&E added value to the shows and contribute to a more professional and pleasing production, and they are rewarding the groups that are taking advantage of these new options to create better products? Maybe it's as simple as accepting that the judges and designers believe A&E makes corps sounds better and assists with clarity of intent? 

Drum corps is a niche activity. Well, the marching arts as a whole is a niche activity, with drum corps being a small subset of that. To suggest that there is some conspiratorial lobbying going on to change the rules just to sell field systems to 30 or so units, is insane. 

Who said Conspiracy? 

I have a question on how the pre-recorded tracks are dropped into the show --

is there basically one continuous track that the corps plays along with, or are the individual samples "dropped" in real time - ie someone presses a key on a keyboard --

I would think this would be really tricky from a timing sense ---

it would seem to make more sense if the accompanyment track is a single track that the sound board op begins at the very beginning of the show --

Does anyone know how this is done?

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, then judges/designers/instructors suddenly decide, as a community, that the new "option" is the preferred sound.  The result is the same.

As it should be. Think back decades to a lot of changes. A couple of corps added contras in the early 60's. How many did not have them by the late 60's? Ditto mellophones. Marching timpani added to the sound that double and triple basses had started....how many did not have them by the mid-70's? Visual designs went away from starting on the left and exiting out the right by the mid 70's. Why have your entrance and final impacts happen with the corps located 50+ yards away from the stands? the list goes on and on. Those who decide these things believe that yes, the changes do make the shows better, so they become standard. You could do a 1964 show today; no rule prohibits that. I doubt you will see it, but it an option.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I think that DCI and the Corps want to elevate their product to the next level.. 

DCI has been in a state of Amateurism since its Inception, when you compare its production value to the very top of Music and Entertainment available to the paying customer..

If the product Value increases you have to figure that the shows will be enjoyed and appreciated by more than just the HS Marching Band Kid. But can instead get the crowd that appreciates and goes to Broadway shows, to Cirque shows.. 

The Judges are rewarding this elevated production level in the Corps.. Not just with the Professional Sound, but with Professional level and quality shows.. 

"They're doing a Marching Band Show" is no longer going to win DCI...

I'm hoping that this is wake up call for all the Corps so that we have 6-8 Professional level Shows that can stand on their own merit with the best of the best instead of the 3 shows that could stand up to this level of Quality..