What would you think if...

2 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

"Filter out" might not have been the right term, but the ear does perceive sound in front of us far more efficiently than that coming from behind us. Hence when you're balancing a multi-channel array, those channels behind and to the side will usually need to be set louder than those directly in front, if the intent is to perceive them equally. 

science.

i've judged on the field for percussion. to hear the FE....get in front of the kids and have the amps behind you. ....going after the battery even less of an issue......you hear the kids, not the stuff coming out of the amps. I'd imagine it's the same for those judging brass at field level

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hearing aids can tell which direction the sound is coming from? Man I got ripped off...

hey you i'm over here. turn your hearing aid up

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Only one poster has mentioned taking an L. as in win and lose. 

Why? 

because people keep trying to play gotcha based on taste not science

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

hey you i'm over here. turn your hearing aid up

Yep got one a few years back. Turn up the hearing aid? We have an app for that (seriously).

Now if my freaking allergies would quit screwing up my ear canal (swelling) so I could wear the #### thing.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

because people keep trying to play gotcha based on taste not science

Only one poster was claiming win or lose. So Person not people. 

Mathematics Brah. 

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Yes, I can attest to this.  He is an ######## by birth..

3rd generation. All drummers.

46 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep got one a few years back. Turn up the hearing aid? We have an app for that (seriously).

Now if my freaking allergies would quit screwing up my ear canal (swelling) so I could wear the #### thing.

yo I'm over here now

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

"Filter out" might not have been the right term, but the ear does perceive sound in front of us far more efficiently than that coming from behind us. Hence when you're balancing a multi-channel array, those channels behind and to the side will usually need to be set louder than those directly in front, if the intent is to perceive them equally. 

science.

I’m going to concede this point as valid, and I’m corrected by a trusted source.

My brother is a music field judge for USBANDS and BOA, and he concurs with you that it is possible to separate the Goo from the analog acoustics.

So, I will take an L for that point.

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I used two words: "drum corps".  Pretty sure neither of those words = "recordings".

yes in answering this question without specifying live or recorded.

What live or recorded music do you consume that isn't first passed through the filter of a sound engineer or projection system of some kind?

Drum corps.