DCI Open Class World Championship Finals - Tuesday, August 6, 2019

57 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I drove through it in Ohio yesterday afternoon. Very heavy at times, especially near Toledo.

(Which is not to be confused with Dayton. Totally different city.)

Sounds about right. Ft Wayne storms will often track north east to Toledo. Defiance and Van Wert will definitely get whatever Ft. Wayne has

Oh!  And if you’re going next year, make the drive to Upland for Ivanhoe’s ice cream. 

• Thanks 1

Wonderful talent and shows in O.C. Good luck to all and a wicked well done Nashua, Kalamazoo, Mobile et al. The future looks grand and in good hands.

20 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

We'll never know, but I believe this show could compete with the Old Firm of BDB and SCVC quite well.  Stylistically it compares well to SCVC's show when they did the white stages.

Yes. Did the top three pick up staff or members from BDB and SCVC? Because there was a definite surge in their quality this year.

Still haven't read this whole thread, but this is how I scored it in person last night vs. what the judges decided:

1st -- 80.0 Spartans (judges: 81.050) -- I knew the judges would go higher, but I'm not as fond of this show's style

2nd -- 79.5 Legends (judges: 79.400) -- pretty pleased with myself on this one

3rd -- 79.3 Gold (judges: 79.250) -- ditto

4th -- 77.0 Southwind (judges: 5th - 75.638)

5th -- 76.0 Louisiana Stars (judges: 4th - 75.850)

6th -- 74.0 Guardians (judges: 7th - 73.575)

7th -- 73.5 River City Rhythm (judges: 8th - 73.300)

8th -- 73.0 7th Regiment (judges: 6th - 73.750)

9th -- 70.0 Golden Empire (judges: 70.650)

10th -- 69.0 Shadow (judges: 69.525) -- announced as 67.275; it was gratifying to learn later that 9th and 10th were about as close as I thought

11th -- 65.0 Colt Cadets (judges: 65.600) -- announced as 64.075

12th -- 60.0 Raiders (judges: 64.250) -- announced as 62.725; I think they're likely to drop to the high 50s in World Class, but we'll see

I wouldn't be surprised to see some further shuffling in tomorrow's scores.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes. Did the top three pick up staff or members from BDB and SCVC? Because there was a definite surge in their quality this year.

Spartans hired SCVC Director Steve Barnhill as a show consultant. Now, how much input he gave, it’s unclear, but I’m pretty sure he chimed in and gave them a few pages from the SCVC playbook.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I wonder if that contributed to this year's move to Marion, which is much closer to Indianapolis.

I'm sure it did have some impact. Additionally, although we personally had a phenomenal experience with housing last season, we heard some of the other directors say their housing sites had become pretty uncooperative on basic corps needs - simple things like showers and fields (I know at least one corps had to shower at the stadium). It was, just like everywhere else, sadly, becoming a rarity to find schools who could adequately house the corps. I'm not sure if that's just the upward trend of losing housing or the growth in Open Class. Probably a little of both.

Edited by cmchandler

18 hours ago, Nuts4DC said:

Spartans hired SCVC Director Steve Barnhill as a show consultant. Now, how much input he gave, it’s unclear, but I’m pretty sure he chimed in and gave them a few pages from the SCVC playbook.

A great move adding Steve Barnhill, one of the best.