Shows that move or touch you

Back in the day...

Cadets 1987 - The ending just slays me.

Suncoast Sound 1988 - The beach ball rolling across the field at Arrowhead Stadium.

Phantom Regiment 1989 - Playing backfield, the turn, and then high brass to bring down the house.

More recently...

Carolina Crown 2013 - Seeing that show live brought me back to DCI after being disconnected from the activity for several years. Profoundly impactful.

BD 2014 - Specifically, La Strada. I didn’t know a drum corps could do that. 

SCV 2016 - Maybe my favorite opening ever to a show. Elation.

Bluecoats 2019 - I am a lifetime Beatles fan. When I first saw the show reveal, I thought it would let me down. (Don’t let me down...) Instead, it has changed the way I listen to songs I have known my whole life. I saw it live three times and want more. Whether it finishes first, second, or whatever, this show is now my go-to when someone asks why I follow drum corps.

Edited by Mookielove
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Perhaps you need to re-watch "... I Remember Everything" because the show title is actually "That One Second" :colgate:

For me, it was a moment...

Just now, Mookielove said:

Back in the day...

Cadets 1987 - The ending just slays me.

Suncoast Sound 1988 - The beach ball rolling across the field at Arrowhead Stadium.

Phantom Regiment 1989 - Playing backfield, the turn, and then high brass to bring down the house.

More recently...

Carolina Crown 2013 - Seeing that show live brought me back to DCI after being disconnected from the activity for several years. Profoundly impactful.

BD 2014 - Specifically, La Strada. I didn’t know a drum corps could do that. 

SCV 2016 - Maybe my favorite opening ever to a show. Elation.

Bluecoats 2019 - I am a lifetime Beatles fan. When I first say the show reveal, I thought it would let me down. (Don’t let me down...) Instead, it has changed the way I listen to songs I have known my whole life. I saw it live three times and want more. Whether it finishes first, second, or whatever, this show is now my go-to when someone asks why I follow drum corps.

The thing is, I don’t really like the Beatles. And the fact that I don’t really have a big emotional attachment to them makes the show all the more interesting to me. 

SCV 2009. You had never met a bigger "If I hear ANOTHER marching group of any kind play 'Appalachian Spring' ONE MORE DANG TIME, I am going to scream!!" hater than myself. But SCV won me over totally and completely. I feel like that show helped me understand (i.e. "get") the source material in an entirely different way.  The last two minutes still gives me chills.

• Like 3

2010 Phantom Regiment.

Right off of the 2009 season where Phantom struggled after winning it all, they hire Myron who has fought health problems for a number of years.  Myron having been associated almost entirely with SCV up to this point.  I don't think he expected to even be around after his earlier diagnosis. 

Watch the early season videos of Myron explaining his concept for the show.  For someone who has spent the majority of his DCI career with SCV, he embraces Regiment.  He moulds Regiment into his vision of beauty.   The show starts rough with his difficult drill, but it starts to gel.  It creates its own life.  It becomes bigger than the sum of it's parts.  Suddenly the audience connects and understands what they are seeing.  Its not literal, it's just so emotional. 

Then watch the member videos at the end of the season just before finals.  It was hard to keep a dry eye watching how they reflected on their season.

Myron left his mark on Regiment.  He was there for 1 year.  What a year it was. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 7

Regiment 2003 hasn’t been mentioned yet? Whoa 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

Regiment 2003 hasn’t been mentioned yet? Whoa 

Honestly Regiment 03 is great but the only part of the show that really moves me is the closer 

Lots and lots of “moments” over the years. Have to think about it. Some are out of simple amazements others are pure emotion some are actually because of the crowd reaction.I’ll have to get back. I’ll keep editing as I remember. 

Phantom 2010- the whole ending 

Bluecoats 2011- the beginning “Creep” section

SCV 2011- the KarlJenkins ballad 

SCV- The Bottle Dance

Cavies 1995- Mars through the end

BD- the soloist at the end of “Tommy”

Star 1993- The entire show

Bluecoats- Any time they play “The Boxer”

BD- Anytime they do Space Chords 

Edited by GREENBLUE

48 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Honestly Regiment 03 is great but the only part of the show that really moves me is the closer 

That's like saying the only part of Old Yeller that moves you is the ending.

Edited by Precious Roy
typo -- "other" should be "only"
  • Like 1