3.150 - Mandarins

4.050 - Phantom Regiment

6.000 - Spirit of Atlanta

3.250 - Crossmen

5.800 - Colts

4.800 - Academy

7.350 - Pacific Crest

6.500 - Madison Scouts

Just an observations, but I really find it hard to believe that the Blue Stars haven't even improved 1 point in two weeks of rehearsals and shows when literally everyone else has improved about 3 points or more over that same span.

Thank you for bringing the Pacific Crest surge to the forefront!! They are killing it. Bring it home Pac Crest!!

• Like 4

The judges usually it get it right finals week. Occasionally I think a couple corps should be flipped, but not so often that I let score going into finals week concern me. Blue Stars were fairly flat last year between Atlanta and the last show before finals with just 1.2 points growth. Their score grew three points between the Sunday show in Buffalo and semi-finals. The Blue Stars end seasons well.  

2 hours ago, DrumCorpsNutt said:

Scores and gains from July 24th, 2019:

4.100 - Bluecoats

3.600 - Blue Devils

3.900 - Santa Clara Vanguard

5.350 - Carolina Crown

4.225 - Cavaliers

2.850 - Boston Crusaders

4.000 - Blue Knights

5.350 - Cadets

0.625 - Blue Stars

3.150 - Mandarins

4.050 - Phantom Regiment

6.000 - Spirit of Atlanta

3.250 - Crossmen

5.800 - Colts

4.800 - Academy

7.350 - Pacific Crest

6.500 - Madison Scouts

Just an observations, but I really find it hard to believe that the Blue Stars haven't even improved 1 point in two weeks of rehearsals and shows when literally everyone else has improved about 3 points or more over that same span.

I'm sure they have improved, but it's not JUST about them improving. It's also about who is beating them. The score is a reflection of how you compare to the corps in front of you. Yesterday's 80 is not today's 80. Every football team's offense can score 100 points if there is no defense on the field. But when there is a defense they might only score 15 points, or on another night can score 28 points. I realize this comparison is not the best because football is a more physical sport where both teams are beating on each other at the same time. However, the idea holds true. The corps with brass, percussion, guard, marching, visual, and GE captions that are better than Stars are essentially hold their score down. After all, there is a finite number that can be achieved (100) and only 1 corps potentially has a chance to come close. Maybe two (such as Bloo and BD this year). But since there is only so much room to go upward, it stands to reason that many corps will receive scores that are frankly below their true quality. This is because the judge must do his/her best to assign an appropriate spread between each corps in  each caption. What matters most is who beat who and by how much. It is a competition, first. From my perspective I could care less who wins, loses, or what have you. I love them all.  But for the judges their job is to rank and apply a score that best reflects the spread between each of the captions. 

5 hours ago, DrumCorpsNutt said:

Scores and gains from July 24th, 2019:

4.000 - Blue Knights

0.625 - Blue Stars

You've cherry-picked two specific dates where the Blue Stars has anomalous scoring: unusually high on 7/24, unusually low on 8/4.

Let's look at it another way, shall we? We could make a comparison between Stars and Bluecoats, or Jersey Surf, but we'll get a better read if we compare them to someone on their relative competitive level. Blue Stars vs. Blue Knights. The two corps have been neck and neck all season.

7/20 - San Antonio, TX
85.550 Blue Knights
85.225 Blue Stars (0.325 behind)

7/27 - Atlanta, GA
87.175 Blue Knights
86.913 Blue Stars (0.2625 behind)

8/2 - Allentown, PA
88.100 Blue Knights
88.025 Blue Stars (0.075 behind)

We can see that at all the "major" shows, the Blue Stars have kept pace with the Blue Knights, despite BK supposedly "gaining" almost 3.5 more points advantage by your numbers. Despite placing behind BK at every major show, on 7/22 the Stars were 1.05 ahead of the Knights (at two different shows) and on 7/24 they were 1.80 ahead (again, at two different shows), leading to a conclusion that the Stars had inflated scores that week at those particular shows (probably due to lack of competition at their skill level and compression of scores upwards towards the Blue Devils).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

You've cherry-picked two specific dates where the Blue Stars has anomalous scoring: unusually high on 7/24, unusually low on 8/4.

Let's look at it another way, shall we? We could make a comparison between Stars and Bluecoats, or Jersey Surf, but we'll get a better read if we compare them to someone on their relative competitive level. Blue Stars vs. Blue Knights. The two corps have been neck and neck all season.

7/20 - San Antonio, TX
85.550 Blue Knights
85.225 Blue Stars (0.325 behind)

7/27 - Atlanta, GA
87.175 Blue Knights
86.913 Blue Stars (0.2625 behind)

8/2 - Allentown, PA
88.100 Blue Knights
88.025 Blue Stars (0.075 behind)

We can see that at all the "major" shows, the Blue Stars have kept pace with the Blue Knights, despite BK supposedly "gaining" almost 3.5 more points advantage by your numbers. Despite placing behind BK at every major show, on 7/22 the Stars were 1.05 ahead of the Knights (at two different shows) and on 7/24 they were 1.80 ahead (again, at two different shows), leading to a conclusion that the Stars had inflated scores that week at those particular shows (probably due to lack of competition at their skill level and compression of scores upwards towards the Blue Devils).

Smarty pants. I said what you said in two sentences. 😏

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Thank you for bringing the Pacific Crest surge to the forefront!! They are killing it. Bring it home Pac Crest!!

I am SO bummed we won't see them in the theater on Thursday since it's based on some regionals average, but, man, look at California! Their fourth-best corps, even, is killing it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

I am SO bummed we won't see them in the theater on Thursday since it's based on some regionals average, but, man, look at California! Their fourth-best corps, even, is killing it!

Being a Cali native born and raised in LA, i want nothing more than to see my state dominate finals with four of the 12 spots coming from the golden state. Pac Crest is looking to make this a reality in the coming years. Not to mention we have another corps Gold, who is bursting on to the scene carrying the torch in open class for BDB and SCVC. Loving this!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

We can see that at all the "major" shows, the Blue Stars have kept pace with the Blue Knights, despite BK supposedly "gaining" almost 3.5 more points advantage by your numbers

Those aren’t MY numbers. Those were the numbers given by the judges.  I was just making an observation.

I bet that if you told those marching members when they broke 87 on July 24th, that they’d be carrying an 87 into finals week.....they’d be pretty bummed.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DrumCorpsNutt said:

Those aren’t MY numbers. Those were the numbers given by the judges.  I was just making an observation.

I bet that if you told those marching members when they broke 87 on July 24th, that they’d be carrying an 87 into finals week.....they’d be pretty bummed.  

Yeah, the Blue Stars had a lot of momentum going for a good chunk of the season and now it seems like they've plateaued. I was really hoping this would be the year they would finally place higher than 8th. Placing 7th would have been perfect. Everything was right there for them: an awesome show, a talented corps, a great staff. There's still a slim chance for 7th; but even 8th is looking iffy, now. 

• Haha 1