So these things could happen this weekend...

17 minutes ago, elJeFeMan said:

The 2019 Mandarins would be the first corps since the 2000 Boston Crusaders to make Finals again following a first time Finals appearance. I think that's a huge accomplishment given the meteoric rise of talent and competitiveness in DCI within the past 5 years or so.

That's some #### great company right there. 2000 is easily one of BAC's best shows.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2

If BAC wins the Zingali and finishes 6th overall, they will tie Phantom 2010 (that year's Sanford winner) as the lowest-placing corps to win a caption award in the modern era.

Speaking of BAC's guard, they have consistently beaten BD in CG in virtually every single meeting between the two corps. Should BAC do so once again on Finals night, it will break BD's 11-year streak of winning that caption on that night (even if they did not win the overall caption award).

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 3

When trying to assess a corps' success, I tend to focus on it's relative position in the major Captions.

As of Aug 4, the top 4 ranked corps in GE are, respectfully, Blue, BD, SCV and CC. The top 4 in VIS are BD, Blue, CC and SCV.  The top 4 in Mus are CC, Blue, SCV and BD.

I went back to the championship results for the last 15 years, 2004-2018, to determine what the DCI  medalist's placings in these 3 major Captions might suggest.

Of the 15 DCI champions, 6 placed 1st in all 3 Captions ( "05 Cadets, "07 BD, "10 BD, "12 BD, "14 BD and "18 SCV.

6 placed 1st in 2 of the 3 Captions ( 06 Cavs : GE & Vis , "09 BD : GE & Vis, "11 Cadets : GE & Mus,  "15 BD : Vis & Mus, "16 Blue : GE & Mus and "17 BD : GE & Vis. 

3 champions placed 1st in "only" 1 of the 3 Captions ( "04 Cavs : GE, "08 PR : Mus and CC "13 : GE )  In these 3 cases, the Cavs and PR were 2nd in the other 2 Captions; CC was 2nd in Vis and 3rd in Mus. 

I forecast a 2019 finish of 1. Blue, 2. BD,  3. CC and  4. SCV.

If BD wins, I will stand and cheer for Los Diablos and salute them once again for their excellence.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If Cadets remain in 9th and break 90 at finals, I think they'll be 4th to 9th-place corps do so, after Boston 04 (90.525) and Scouts 13 (90.1) and Knights 92 (90.0). Boston 04 was scoring in the 88-89 range in the week prior to finals, while Scouts 13 were 87-88 and Knights 92 were 86-90. Cadets are currently 87-89. They stand a chance of being the highest 9th-place score ever.

Edited by chris ncsu
Blue Knights 1992!

13 hours ago, ElSuarez said:

Should Phantom place 12th, they will join Madison as the only corps to have placed 1 thru 12 in DCI finals.

wrong - Bluecoats became the second corps to do this in 2016 when they won

Edited by bluecoats88

14 hours ago, ElSuarez said:

Should Phantom place 12th, they will join Madison as the only corps to have placed 1 thru 12 in DCI finals.

Haven't Bluecoats finished in every position from 1-15? I am wrong, never finished 14th.

Edited by cage

12 hours ago, Jake W. said:

If Mandarins make Finals again (and it’s hard to imagine that not happening at this point), they’ll be the first corps to repeat a first time or extremely isolated Finals appearance since....who and when???? Breaking the Cascades/Academy/Troopers curse.

BAC

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

If Cadets remain in 9th and break 90 at finals, I think they'll be 3rd to 9th-place corps do so, after Boston 04 (90.525) and Scouts 13 (90.1). Boston 04 was scoring in the 88-89 range in the week prior to finals, while Scouts 13 were 87-88. Cadets are currently 87-89. They stand a chance of being the highest 9th-place score ever.

Blue Knights 1992

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cage said:

Blue Knights 1992

Thanks!  Fixed!

• Like 1