So these things could happen this weekend...

24 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Super happy to see Surf and Cascades in Semi's this year!! Both have improved so much this summer and i hope they both go balls to the wall today. But i can't dismiss the fact they are only in semi's cause BDB/SCVC stayed home this year. That basically opened up two spots. 

And also Oregon Crusaders are inactive this year, which opened up a third Semifinals spot.

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

And also Oregon Crusaders are inactive this year, which opened up a third Semifinals spot.

Forgot about OC!! Don't know what happened with them, truly hope they come back soon. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Super happy to see Surf and Cascades in Semi's this year!! Both have improved so much this summer and i hope they both go balls to the wall today. But i can't dismiss the fact they are only in semi's cause BDB/SCVC stayed home this year. That basically opened up two spots. 

Meh. In the BOA world, where attendance to Grand Nationals at the end of each season is optional, and many groups plan their trips on 2 or 4 year rotations, etc., there's a lot of the same sentiment after each season (if only so & so would have attended they would've won xyz class, or x wouldn't have been in Finals if y attended, etc.), so a common mantra as a response is always "you can't win if you don't attend", and I think that applies here. Yea, BDB & SCVC probably would have beaten Surf & Scades, but, maybe one or both would have faltered, maybe a bug would have put one corps behind a week or two; it's impossible to know because both corps removed themselves from the final Indy conversation this year. Which is fine; I want them each to do what's best for their organizations, but then neither those two corps nor anyone else gets to lay claim to an if-they-had-only-attended prophecy. You don't attend you don't advance, and while consistent history is always a good indication of what could have happened, it's a moot point: they chose to stay home, and the corps that attended made it into Semis. I'll also point out, too, that Surf & Scades (and Legends, Gold, Music City, Genesis, Spartans) all do this and make it into Semis *without* massive parent organizations to support them in every aspect from financing to design to day to day operations, and, in my opinion, that's more impressive to me every year than the high scores BDB & SCVC usually put out.

That's not really directed at you, Chief Guns....you are always nothing but positive and contribute great things to these forums. More just directed at anyone thinking Scades & Surf are only in this year because of BDB's/SCVC's absence.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Forgot about OC!! Don't know what happened with them, truly hope they come back soon. 

There were health and safety-related issues raised after last season that caused the staff and members to jump ship, and despite the corps' best efforts, they announced they would be inactive for at least this season back in January.

I hope OC comes back soon, too, but not without some significant changes to their leadership.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Meh again. They too are a big wild card --- from all the offseason chatter, it sounds like they really struggled to field a corps this year and get a proper staff in after literally everyone jumped ship last season --- so who knows what kind of shape they would have been in if they had ended up fielding a corps.

6 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Meh. In the BOA world, where attendance to Grand Nationals at the end of each season is optional, and many groups plan their trips on 2 or 4 year rotations, etc., there's a lot of the same sentiment after each season (if only so & so would have attended they would've won xyz class, or x wouldn't have been in Finals if y attended, etc.), so a common mantra as a response is always "you can't win if you don't attend", and I think that applies here. Yea, BDB & SCVC probably would have beaten Surf & Scades, but, maybe one or both would have faltered, maybe a bug would have put one corps behind a week or two; it's impossible to know because both corps removed themselves from the final Indy conversation this year. Which is fine; I want them each to do what's best for their organizations, but then neither those two corps nor anyone else gets to lay claim to an if-they-had-only-attended prophecy. You don't attend you don't advance, and while consistent history is always a good indication of what could have happened, it's a moot point: they chose to stay home, and the corps that attended made it into Semis. I'll also point out, too, that Surf & Scades (and Legends, Gold, Music City, Genesis, Spartans) all do this and make it into Semis *without* massive parent organizations to support them in every aspect from financing to design to day to day operations, and, in my opinion, that's more impressive to me every year than the high scores BDB & SCVC usually put out.

That's not really directed at you, Chief Guns....you are always nothing but positive and contribute great things to these forums. More just directed at anyone thinking Scades & Surf are only in this year because of BDB's/SCVC's absence.

I am with you on everything you said. Cascades and Surf earned their spot in semi's and they deserve it. And i will be rooting for them and all corps to blow the top off the oil can. 

I was just looking at open class scores from a few weeks ago, and BDB was three and a half points ahead of Gold at their final meeting July 20th. Of course we all know what happens when you assume, but i just believe its safe to say BDB and SCVC would be performing today if they chose to attend finals week. 

Few years back we had a high school football team out here in SoCal that had to forfeit 8 regular season games due to one player being academically ineligible, somehow no one realized or found out till playoffs started. This team was 10-0 winning their games by an average of 41 points per game, had a national ranking, and the forfeits dropped them to 2-8 and they missed the playoffs. While the team that made the championship earned their spot and deserving, it was hard for people to not wonder if that particular school hadn't forfeited their games, how would it have turned out. And the player who was ineligible wasn't a star player or even a starter. He played only in garbage time, no real effect on the games which made it even worse.  

But i hear you loud and clear based off what you said. Again nothing but the best of luck to all corps performing today. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 8:27 AM, bluecoats88 said:

wrong - Bluecoats became the second corps to do this in 2016 when they won

this got me wondering what placements are missing from Cadets, Cavies, and Crown. They've been in the all the top spots, but in the 70's Cadets and Cavies were in and out and had several lower placements. I would think Crown also has in their earlier years in finals.

Someone mentions 8th place for Cadets.

33 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Meh. In the BOA world, where attendance to Grand Nationals at the end of each season is optional, and many groups plan their trips on 2 or 4 year rotations, etc., there's a lot of the same sentiment after each season (if only so & so would have attended they would've won xyz class, or x wouldn't have been in Finals if y attended, etc.), so a common mantra as a response is always "you can't win if you don't attend", and I think that applies here.

Say what you want, but the ONLY example of this that would have actually played out would be Claudia Taylor Johnson in 2017. No one will EVER persuade me otherwise. I'm still ###### that they didn't take that incredible show to Grand Nationals...

13 minutes ago, shawn craig said:

this got me wondering what placements are missing from Cadets, Cavies, and Crown. They've been in the all the top spots, but in the 70's Cadets and Cavies were in and out and had several lower placements. I would think Crown also has in their earlier years in finals.

Someone mentions 8th place for Cadets.

Crown is missing 9th, and we don't want it either. Lmao.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

Crown is missing 9th, and we don't want it either. Lmao.

I'm not hoping for it, I was only curious.