Big loud and live

2 minutes ago, SimonSays said:

This has probably been addressed somewhere else...but why can't they have the Big, Loud, and Live, for Semi-Finals instead of prelims? I would think the theater turn out would soar. 

Theaters make their money on Fridays already. Live event on a Thursday means more butts in seats that wouldn't have necessarily been there.

Same reason that the early-season show used to be on a Monday, even when it was a tape delay of the Saturday show.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Wow!  The step-off times are so late for the last few.  I can't imagine performing one of these shows, after 10 pm, after having been rehearsing since morning.  

Probably because it's carried live in four time zones.

• Like 1

I know this is a crazy long shot, but I have an extra seat for the show in Eden Prairie, MN. I was going to take one of my kids, but my older one is at All-State Band camp and my younger one has colorguard practice. The life of a band parent. 

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

Wow!  The step-off times are so late for the last few.  I can't imagine performing one of these shows, after 10 pm, after having been rehearsing since morning.  

Two thoughts on your comment:

1. I agree completely!

2. I don’t know how old you are, but I’ll bet you are no longer 19 or 20, lol. My wife and I drove past the theater the other night at 9:45, ready to get home to bed, and we both said, “Those people are walking in to START a movie at 9:45. They are crazy!”  This, from a guy who knew which restaurants stayed open until 2am when I was in college. It’s gonna be a late night for this 48 year old for DCI. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SimonSays said:

This has probably been addressed somewhere else...but why can't they have the Big, Loud, and Live, for Semi-Finals instead of prelims? I would think the theater turn out would soar. 

Because theaters across the country will not give up Friday nights for drum corps. There simply isn’t enough demand to do so. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Theaters make their money on Fridays already. Live event on a Thursday means more butts in seats that wouldn't have necessarily been there.

Same reason that the early-season show used to be on a Monday, even when it was a tape delay of the Saturday show.

35 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Because theaters across the country will not give up Friday nights for drum corps. There simply isn’t enough demand to do so. 

Yeah...that makes total sense.....I guess it was a dumb question now that I think about it. :blush:

Just now, SimonSays said:

Yeah...that makes total sense.....I guess it was a dumb question now that I think about it. :blush:

Not at all. I'm sure others were wondering the same thing.

If there were a large enough market, a Friday Night Pay-Per-View could possibly work.  For many of us who don't want to buy into an annual subscription with Flo (been there, done that, ain't gonna do it again), a simple 1-time PPV would be good.

On the other hand, DCI probably does not want to take away the incentive for people to make their way to Indy. Again, it's about market size. The activity simply is not at the scale to be all things to all people.

That said, we'll be at the theater tonight, enjoying the sights and sounds in the comfort of our stadium-seating recliner. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

If there were a large enough market, a Friday Night Pay-Per-View could possibly work.  For many of us who don't want to buy into an annual subscription with Flo (been there, done that, ain't gonna do it again), a simple 1-time PPV would be good.

On the other hand, DCI probably does not want to take away the incentive for people to make their way to Indy. Again, it's about market size. The activity simply is not at the scale to be all things to all people.

That said, we'll be at the theater tonight, enjoying the sights and sounds in the comfort of our stadium-seating recliner. 

think about it,  the semi finals show would be about 6 hours long,  even if they charged $25 a ticket theaters would be losing money on a usually busy Friday night because during that 6 hour time slot they could show 3 movies on that screen at $13 a pop.  that is why you will never see the theaters give up a Friday or Saturday night to DCI

10 hours ago, Dr.Mickey said:

I don’t know how old you are, but I’ll bet you are no longer 19 or 20, lol. My wife and I drove past the theater the other night at 9:45, ready to get home to bed, and we both said, “Those people are walking in to START a movie at 9:45. They are crazy!”   

What's crazier then 9:45 are the people,mostly teens,waiting to get into the theater for midnight "premiers",especially when a 

big movie is coming out.

• Haha 1