Blue Stars - 90.85
Blue Knights - 91.475
Cavaliers - 94.25
Boston Crusaders 94.225
Carolina Crown - 95.938
Santa Clara Vanguard - 96.238
Blue Devils - 97.55
Bluecoats - 97.65

Five corps in their current placements are within a point of setting a new DCI record for such placements. If placements hold and scores hold or increase:

Crossmen will shatter their own record (from last year) for highest 12th place score ever (86.750)

Phantom Regiment have a good shot at the highest 11th place score of all time (2005 Glassmen, 87.700)

Mandarins are only a quarter point away from the record score for 10th place (1988 Suncoast Sound, 89.100)

Cadets will join 2013 Madison, 1992 BK, and 2004 Boston in the 90 point 9th place club, only 0.425 away from Boston's record of 90.525.

Crown is 0.912 away from eclipsing 2013 Vanguard for the highest 4th place score of all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it too late to say how bizarre it is that what is arguably the most subjective caption is weighted the most? Like I get that GE is cool and all that, but when you can have a group not win any other caption but GE and come out as the overall winner it's just strange. Sorry for the tangent.

Also this is NOT a dig at the bluecoats this year whatsoever. Just a casual observation/criticism of the current judging system.

Edited by kinetic inferno11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

Or just some slightly more favorable reads from the GE judges to make the spread closer. On the other hand, one bad performance can easily put Bloo in the driver's seat 

GE is hitting a ceiling.  Bloo got one perfect score in achievement tonight and there will be more by finals.  The spread will have to be maintained... so the real make-up (it looks to me) is for BD to place one spot higher in brass, percussion, or music analysis.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, EricS said:

how can anyone call iconic Beatles  music hokey?

a criticism of the show design isn’t necessarily a criticism of the source music... 

but also: pop is hokey! the Beatles flirted with that idea and did incredible things with it, so as far as they’re concerned it’s not a criticism. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Or just some slightly more favorable reads from the GE judges to make the spread closer. On the other hand, one bad performance can easily put Bloo in the driver's seat 

Bluecoats are in the drivers seat. They’ve been leading the whole season with only a couple of exceptions. I think the strength of the top six is making it harder for anyone to move up or down. I honestly don’t know how the top six could get better than they are, given the shows that they are performing. I’d say the more likely scenario is the guard scores improved for bluecoats and they win by .1

• Like 2

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

GE is hitting a ceiling.  Bloo got one perfect score in achievement tonight and there will be more by finals.  The spread will have to be maintained... so the real make-up (it looks to me) is for BD to place one spot higher in brass, percussion, or music analysis.

Why does the spread have to be maintained? Just take a look at the GE2 judge who put Crown in 7th for GE content! That hasn't happened all season. One judge can have an opinion that flip flops BD and Bloo in the caption

• Like 2

Just now, Super Don-O said:

Coats won despite 4th in guard and 4th in percussion. Wow.

BDs music caption placements match those figures.  That's the trade.

Bloo has bern getting that guard placement all season, but the drums have pulled off higher comparisons.  I'd like to see them bump up a slot.

Wow, the quality of all the corps tonight was just insane. My personal favorites were Bluecoats, Boston, and Crown. The first two prove that you can use popular music and familiar themes to be both accessible to the casual fan and high-quality art. Some of the programs are just too high-concept for me. Crown's on the list because I just love Gabriel's Oboe. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Coats are already in the drivers seat.