DCI World Championship Prelims - Thursday, August 8, 2019

Thoughts from tonight. 

Kudos to Pacific Crest, just a fantastic performance.  Well deserved jump in placement.

Loved both Bloo and BD (which is not something I say in most years).  Can really see switched placements in semis and finals.

Also loved Crown.  The music and drill are amazing!  I think they snag a medal on Saturday!

CG is going to be a real battle.  Well deserved win tonight by BD, and I think the judge was right on this.  Boston has an insane book, but had some performance flaws tonight.  Clean those up and I think that swings to Boston.

Cadets have really maxed out a flawed program.  Such great work and improvement.

BK had a rough run tonight.  I counted 2 falls and one minor collision.  And just seemed tentative.  I think they improve tomorrow.

Overall great day of drum corps.  Same seats tomorrow.  Can't wait to see how this plays out!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I can't be the only person let down by the end of Bluecoats show. 30 seconds of Hey Jude doesn't cut it for me as an "encore". Crowd reaction seems rather tame at the end too. Its not a get on your feet and scream memorable ending. It's a stand up and applause "that's nice" kind of ending to me.

I know people seem to be down on the BD ending but I think it is more effective than the Bluecoats ending.

Just feel like the BD ending is almost identical to most previous BD endings.

• Like 2

It's interesting to note that DCI Finals this year has become a multiple competition between

1 & 2,

3 & 4,

5 & 6,

7 & 8

9 & 10

and 11 &12th.

Blue Devils vs Blue Coats

Carolina Crown vs Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders vs Cavaliers

Blue Knights vs Cadets ...

• Like 1

Just now, HouserCD said:

It's interesting to note that DCI Finals this year has become a multiple competition between

1 & 2,

3 & 4,

5 & 6,

7 & 8

9 & 10

and 11 &12th.

Blue Devils vs Blue Coats

Carolina Crown vs Santa Clara Vanguard

Boston Crusaders vs Cavaliers

Blue Knights vs Cadets ...

You can keep going too.

14th - 16th separated by .1.  

17th - 19th separated by a point or so.  

20th and 21st neck and neck. 

Getting into semis was a .1 difference.

Exciting!  

• Like 2

I was happy about the important things, Phantom regiment beat Crossmen.    I like BD a little over Bloo still,  I think Flo missed quite a bit if BD show in real life they march quite a bit,  the broadcast seemed to focus on the peeps standing still.   However overall sound in my theater was very good all corps put it down tonight

2 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Calling it now - They burn Goliath after cutting his head off on Saturday night.

They are bringing back their fire pit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No where in my DCI world- been going to shows since I was a a wee lad- is SCV better than Crown.  It’s crazy- but hey, good for conversation. 

Love this activity. Scores mean so little to me but are fun to talk about of course 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

I really enjoyed every corps I was able to see...got to the theater just in time for the Xmen.

I don't care about placements at this point. ALL of the young performers are winners in my eyes, having the opportunity to march in shows like these.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

No where in my DCI world- been going to shows since I was a a wee lad- is SCV better than Crown.  It’s crazy- but hey, good for conversation. 

Love this activity. Scores mean so little to me but are fun to talk about of course 

My old eyes and ears see it that way, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Just feel like the BD ending is almost identical to most previous BD endings.

More than that, but for the first time ever, I feel like BD’s ending is just... incomplete. Like, there’s something missing that needs to be there to tie this show together. 2015 had that problem until Finals week when they added Clara and everything finally made sense. This show, OTOH, hasn’t really added anything like that yet. Maybe they’re saving it for Semis or Finals, but I’m not so sure.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1