DCI World Championship Prelims - Thursday, August 8, 2019

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

The timing between the four groups of trumpets along the front sideline, especially with what they’re playing during Eleanor Rigby, is top notch.

I have a new favorite drum corps version of "Eleanor Rigby"...Bloo!

I have always had the 1969 Blessed Sac version as my favorite, but this one is just amazing. Cavies also played it around 1969, but they based theirs on a Boston Pops chart, and I just liked BS' version better....a straight ahead chart coming out of concert.

Yes, I am old!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

No where in my DCI world- been going to shows since I was a a wee lad- is SCV better than Crown.  It’s crazy- but hey, good for conversation. 

Love this activity. Scores mean so little to me but are fun to talk about of course 

No where in my DCI world is Crown better than SCV (and I love Crown).

So glad the judges see it that way, too (at least, so far). :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I didn't have time to watch the Prelims video on Flo today, but watching the brief clips of the World Class corps they showed between performances on Big, Loud & Live tonight, I thought to myself that the segments they showed of Madison Scouts and Pacific Crest were better than the whole shows of Colts, Academy, and Spirit.

Mind you, I knew those were highlight selections, meaning the video crew had picked strong moments as opposed to any weak points in those shows, and I know Madison in particular has had a challenging year so I didn't expect a score bump for them, but it was gratifying when the scores showed that P.C. had jumped up two spots.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

No where in my DCI world- been going to shows since I was a a wee lad- is SCV better than Crown.  It’s crazy- but hey, good for conversation. 

Love this activity. Scores mean so little to me but are fun to talk about of course 

If Crown were just a little bit cleaner, particularly in their last movement, I think they'd be my favorite show this year.

Which surprises me, because at the beginning of the season, I thought their concept was such a mess.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

Two more shows. I think Crown has a strong chance of getting the bronze.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, when was the last time Stentors didn't finish last or second-last in Prelims?

• Like 3

I stayed off the phone during the theater because I had a friend to chat with this year. 

Some thoughts:

1. There was a sync issue at my theater too but it was mostly during people talking,  It seemed to get corrected at some point.

2. Steve Rondinaro's cluelessness made for several laughs at my theater. The biggest was after Mandarins.  "That was very......different"  Then as they're pulling the prop off and the guy stays impaled on it, "Oh look, he's still in character."   Also some of the ways people being interviewed responded to his questions.  The facial expressions they'd pull.  He asks Mike Jackson, "Now, just what exactly do the drums do?"  And Jackson is like trying really hard to come up with an answer because his brain is clearly going, "WTF?!? Did he just ask that?"

3. I"m pretty sure I know Terri by sight now after that many shots into the crowd near the 50.

4. I was at the Germantown, MD theater this year and had more youngsters but less people over all than the DC theater.   Going by t-shirts they were mostly Crownies.  They were super well behaved.  A number left after SCV and some more after BD.  I think curfews were calling more than any critique of the shows.

5. BAC's blood got an audible "oooh!" and several people sitting upright at my theater.  

6. Mandarins rifles in the mouth thing got a lot of "what did we just see?" at my theater

7. The PR hold the woman and catch the rifle behind her got gasps in my theater.  

8. Cavies got their ballad replayed as many were leaving rather than waiting out scores.  People stopped just to watch it again.  

9. Was SOA's ending drill new?  Delta to a second ATL to a Delta.  I don't remember the second ATL. It was super fun to see but they seemed a bit dirty musically at times.  The cut line for finals seems pretty solid with PR passing Crossmen tonight.  I don't see SOA finding the scores they need to do it.   But it's a fun show and I like the call out/connection to last year's show at the start and finish.

10.  My friend pointed out some things about BK's visual program that helped me see some of what's missing.  "Why aren't they using flags in the ballad? Those scarves have no visual impact, they should be flags."  And "Their guard work doesn't compliment the music very much."   Which finally clicked with me what's gone awry, and frankly it's baffling because BK typically does those two things fairly well. 

11. BD's guard has been coming for BAC and caught them tonight.  It's far from over but these are perhaps the two best guards I've seen (this includes that 2014 BD guard).   BAC's book is exhausting to watch.  

12.  Super fun night to share with a friend.

• Like 2

Oh...

13.  The theater exposes who is using goo a lot.  

14.  Madison's clip got a lot of applause in my theater, including the young ones.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

More than that, but for the first time ever, I feel like BD’s ending is just... incomplete. Like, there’s something missing that needs to be there to tie this show together. 2015 had that problem until Finals week when they added Clara and everything finally made sense. This show, OTOH, hasn’t really added anything like that yet. Maybe they’re saving it for Semis or Finals, but I’m not so sure.

They'll turn off the Ghostlight and when they do, all the lights in the stadium will go off, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2