DCI World Championship Prelims - Thursday, August 8, 2019

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

What i wouldn’t give to hear BD’s music tapes...

Gotta be getting hit on that closer, no? I agree with @DrumManTx — perfect perfect perfect, and then you get to the closer and it’s like, “Yeah, sure, cool!” rather than “I WOULD DIE FOR YOU BD” for me. 

And by contrast, in my opinion, BD and Bloo have similar not-quite-interesting enough openers (I'm reminded of "A River Runs Through It", where the father keeps making the boys rewrite their essays "half as long"), but BD gets a slight edge there.

9 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

1. There was a sync issue at my theater too but it was mostly during people talking,  It seemed to get corrected at some point.

It was highly ironic that the sync issue was most evident during the discussion of amplification.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

13.  The theater exposes who is using goo a lot.  

Probably depends on speaker placement relative to the broadcast microphones, though. For whatever reason, Cavaliers and Boston and Crown were, relatively speaking, a breath of fresh air after a lot of goo in the previous corps. Then it cranked up again for parts of SCV's show and for some moments in both BD and Bloo.

Also, glad to see the score bump for Blue Stars.  They had a heck of a run tonight.  The giant prop still seems sort of wasted potential and while the uniforms look pretty good from high and highlight the drill super good, every time they went close I thought "it's like they ran through the fabric story remnants pile with glue on."  It's definitely better than Cadets and should be nipping at BK's heels a bit more in my view.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

2. Steve Rondinaro's cluelessness made for several laughs at my theater. The biggest was after Mandarins.  "That was very......different"  Then as they're pulling the prop off and the guy stays impaled on it, "Oh look, he's still in character."   Also some of the ways people being interviewed responded to his questions.  The facial expressions they'd pull.  He asks Mike Jackson, "Now, just what exactly do the drums do?"  And Jackson is like trying really hard to come up with an answer because his brain is clearly going, "WTF?!? Did he just ask that?"

I was worried that member was going to slam his head on the edge of the tunnel! It was a tight fit.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And by contrast, in my opinion, BD and Bloo have similar not-quite-interesting enough openers (I'm reminded of "A River Runs Through It", where the father keeps making the boys rewrite their essays "half as long"), but BD gets a slight edge there.

I tend to agree about Bloo's opener being the weak link in the show.  It starts off cool, but is somehow clunky, especially when they have I Wanna Hold Your Hand interlude.  But, after that, the flow is brilliant.  Also, wasn't there more sing at the end when they did it in Allentown?  

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Also, glad to see the score bump for Blue Stars.  They had a heck of a run tonight.  The giant prop still seems sort of wasted potential and while the uniforms look pretty good from high and highlight the drill super good, every time they went close I thought "it's like they ran through the fabric story remnants pile with glue on."  It's definitely better than Cadets and should be nipping at BK's heels a bit more in my view.

Yeah, they looked like really weird chaps.

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I was worried that member was going to slam his head on the edge of the tunnel! It was a tight fit.

Me too.  The members pulling it out centered the prop to the tunnel and I'm thinking the guy impaled should be saying "Uh guys!  Um hey!"

• Haha 1