DCI World Championship Prelims - Thursday, August 8, 2019

30 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, every single corps does some playing while moving. As has been shown, some of them are doing so far less than they did in years gone by. You have argued, complete with helpful video comparisons, that they are making up for it, as it were, by doing other things. But that doesn't mean some corps aren't doing more of it than others.

I argued that the pragmatic design choices for simultaneous demand haven't changed... ever.

So they are really all doing the same thing in their wrealm of competition.  As can be seen in the sheets... But better by looking out for it through direct visual comparison.

Edited by cfirwin3

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

Boy, you should add psychologist to your list of accomplishments!  You sure speak seem to claim qualification for speaking for everyone!

Kudos on your accomplishments!

I have eyes to see and read and it's easy to compare the two.  No advanced degree needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ediker said:

Agree. Musically, they are going in their own (good) direction. Smooth and very easy on the ears. 

Those mirror props are very clever. From high in the stands, they’re close to invisible, allowing MMs and equipment to disappear from the field. 

Overall great design work by BK, plus their usual performance excellence. 

And from lower levels it gives the impression of fleeting memories. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Because it is.  The early music, anyway.  I want to hold your hand is pretty simple music with early pubescent lyrics.  That's not a criticism, just an observation. 

I grew up with the music of The Beatles and the Beach Boys. I loved it in the 60's and 70's but I've grown more musically as I've gotten older.   Bloo does a fantastic job with their drum corps arrangements and showing the progress and growth with the music throughout their presentation, just as the Beatles did in real life.

I would not have chosen the music of the Beatles for a championship contending drum corps show but Bloo did what all the top corps do, they play it so well I enjoy it from beginning to end.  They made me like it.

I have never been a Beatles fan, but I worked in the music business for 15 years. You have to understand the history of that industry to understand the significance of the Beatles. Beatles music was meant to tell the world that it was OK to write and perform simple ideas that were personal to you.

Before the Beatles, the pop music industry was simply rehashing songs that other song writers had written. Performances were people dressed up in Hokey costumes, ironically. The Beatles were the first boy band, but they were also terrific musicians.

I want to hold your hand was a statement to the entire music industry. It was simple on purpose.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, littlejaw said:

@Terri Schehr

As you were on the 50 right up front, who was the biggest offender when it came to sound goo to bolster the volume?

I noticed Phantom Regiment most because their speaker was right under the podium shaking the seats and under my feet.   It was annoying. 

• Like 1

I would like to thank The Colts for being one of the treats of the evening for me.  I saw them in Zionsville on June 23rd and as often is early in the season, it was a bit of a mess.  They’ve pulled it together beautifully.   Kudos to the kids and staff!  Bravo! 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I noticed Phantom Regiment most because their speaker was right under the podium shaking the seats and under my feet.   It was annoying. 

Thanks, it was hard to tell in the theaters of course.

Boston and Bloo had our seats rattle from the bass that was being pumped out, but I thought it may be mic placement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, littlejaw said:

Thanks, it was hard to tell in the theaters of course.

Boston and Bloo had our seats rattle from the bass that was being pumped out, but I thought it may be mic placement.

I mean, they’re all putting out some volume from the bass for sure.