DCI World Championship Prelims - Thursday, August 8, 2019

The Blue Devils are in the driver's seat. They've been in the driver's seat at the beginning of and thru every season for over 10 years now. 

It's always an upset when they lose. And with some of the judges, you have to beat them by half a point in order to beat them by a tenth.

• Confused 1

Honestly, I think BD will win Saturday night...

Bluecoats are approaching that ceiling in GE and that’s their bread and butter this year. I can see GE getting squeezed together, strong GE from the 6th place corps and Bluecoats setting the ceiling makes that GE gap close a bit.

All BD needs is 0.1 of a point

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

I mean, you literally did say it had to be maintained lol. Just going by your words. 

When the ceiling is hit, it is hard to maintain the comparison by arbitrarily saying 'well you both compare the same way as you did last night... but hey, I can't give you any more points... so I'll just raise them and you can just sit there with your 10".

In the comparison, yes it makes sense that they will have to hold the margins.  I say the don't HAVE to because they could do anything they want to.  But it makes way more sense given the lack of a ceiling in music for the fight to happen there.

BD is going to hit the ceiling in visual.  The judges aren't going to squeeze the margin just because BD ran out of points to gain.  They are going to keep the comparison margin in those captions.

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

a margin of 0.1 is a coinflip. My opinion is that there is no drivers seat this season unless one corps has a bad perfromance for that night. The top 2 are dead even, it will just come down to performance levels and judge opinions

Look, I’m not trying to be argumentative, but the top two are not in fact dead even. One of the two has been winning almost every show this season including head to head. I still think blue Devils win the gold because that’s just how it goes, but right now the gold is the bluecoats to lose.

• Like 2

Just now, wilme861 said:

Honestly, I think BD will win Saturday night...

Bluecoats are approaching that ceiling in GE and that’s their bread and butter this year. I can see GE getting squeezed together, strong GE from the 6th place corps and Bluecoats setting the ceiling makes that GE gap close a bit.

All BD needs is 0.1 of a point

The 12th place corps will drop from 87 to 84-85 on Saturday to give room for spreads, like happens literally every single year. Nothing new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

BD is good but this Coats show is special, and I dont see how Devils are this close to Bloo.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

When the ceiling is hit, it is hard to maintain the comparison by arbitrarily saying 'well you both compare the same way as you did last night... but hey, I can't give you any more points... so I'll just raise them and you can just sit there with your 10".

In the comparison, yes it makes sense that they will have to hold the margins.  I say the don't HAVE to because they could do anything they want to.  But it makes way more sense given the lack of a ceiling in music for the fight to happen there.

BD is going to hit the ceiling in visual.  The judges aren't going to squeeze the margin just because BD ran out of points to gain.  They are going to keep the comparison margin in those captions.

This would be valid if the panels were the exact same every night. But they're not and we've seen one judge rate completely different from another 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Look, I’m not trying to be argumentative, but the top two are not in fact dead even. One of the two has been winning almost every show this season including head to head. I still think blue Devils win the gold because that’s just how it goes, but right now the gold is the bluecoats to lose.

Tomato to-ma-to. Just arguing semantics at this point

Just now, BoyWonder1911 said:

The 12th place corps will drop from 87 to 84-85 on Saturday to give room for spreads, like happens literally every single year. Nothing new.

Oh I agree with you, those numbers will drop. 5th and 6th might even stagnate a bit overall, but those top corps won’t. They’ll go up! And when they do, well the Bluecoats are already there...

Just now, Cappybara said:

This would be valid if the panels were the exact same every night. But they're not and we've seen one judge rate completely different from another 

Yet the margins average out so very similar.