DCI World Championship Prelims - Thursday, August 8, 2019

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Even after they added the beheading a week or two ago, it was clear something additional was needed -- and they brought it tonight.

Agreed. Although, it was hard to tell on the broadcast: did Goliath’s head accidentally pop off early?

15 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Heat Wave started things off. If this is the lowest ranked corps, we are in for a great day!

iZ859XK.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Agreed. Even the bottom of Open Class this year is mostly respectable, and starting with Shadow, the performances get to be very entertaining. I've gone to Open Class finals for eight years in a row, and this was my favorite time yet, even with BDB and SCVC.

15 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Next on the field is Les Stentors from Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada. Here is their 2019 program information, courtesy of Drum Corps Xperience:

Passion in Red

Águas de Março by Antônio Carlos Jobim
Symphonic Overture by Philip Sparke
Danzón No. 2 by Arturo Marquez
Capricho Árabe by Francisco Tárrega
Libertango by Astor Piazzolla

Thanks for this. When I saw Stentors on Tuesday, I recognized their opener as a tune I've heard repeatedly on WKHR 91.5, but I couldn't remember which Brazilian tune it was. Per Wikipedia:

"In 2001, 'Águas de Março' was named as the all-time best Brazilian song in a poll of more than 200 Brazilian journalists, musicians and other artists conducted by Brazil's leading daily newspaper, Folha de S.Paulo."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Trumpets and mellos form the path for Orpheus and Eurydice to start their journey back to the regular world. But, Orpheus can’t look back to see if she’s following. If he does, she stays in the underworld forever.

The Middle English version, Sir Orfeo, gives the story a happy ending.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kevingamin said:

“I read the news today, oh boy...” 

I loved how RCR had a member sing that line live near the end.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Disagree. It fits perfectly and drives the theme along with the music and visual.

Whereas I think their approach to the news is mostly bland and generic, rather like Crossmen's "Protest" show in 2013.

Cavaliers got it right in 2016.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

I like most of it, but I can't bring myself to like the "I read the news today, oh boy" vocal near the end.

I thought she did a nice job singing that.

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

A fabulous run. I ran to watch the show for a fourth time this season. 

I still have their opening samba in my head I adore that corps so hard. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, besson57 said:

My problem isn't with the narration itself, it's with how hokey it is. Really bad voice acting for most of it that's just not believable.

There was a marching band show about journalism, a Gary Gilroy creation I think, that was making the rounds a few years ago. Two Ohio bands did it the same season. One went to BOA. The other, who did a better job with it, did not. (That's Logan Elm and Amherst Steele, respectively, for those who know Ohio bands.) But both were very heavy on narration fairly similar in nature to what RCR's show used. (The music was totally different though.)