DCI World Championship Prelims - Thursday, August 8, 2019

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Palladio" - Karl Jenkins

"Top Hat, White Tie and Tails" - Irving Berlin

"Suit and Tie" - Justin Timberlake

"Across the Universe" - The Beatles

"Une Valse a Mille Temps" - Jacques Brel

Thanks to MikeN for posting that here.

I need to remember we have our own threads for show info. I'm so used to hitting Corpsreps/DCX for that info.

8 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Also, glad to see the score bump for Blue Stars.  They had a heck of a run tonight.  The giant prop still seems sort of wasted potential and while the uniforms look pretty good from high and highlight the drill super good, every time they went close I thought "it's like they ran through the fabric story remnants pile with glue on."  It's definitely better than Cadets and should be nipping at BK's heels a bit more in my view.

A three point jump in preliminaries  for a top 10 corps should never happen. It tells you how badly the judges performed in their previous show.

Edited by MikeRapp

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I noticed Phantom Regiment most because their speaker was right under the podium shaking the seats and under my feet.   It was annoying. 

PR was the first show I caught in the theater last night - several times their thunder goo just completely overwhelmed the theater's sound system -- all that came through was a rumble rattle -- hilarious!!!!

Do these sound designers know what they are doing? Do they ever listen to their own product?

• Like 3

Just now, tedrick said:

PR was the first show I caught in the theater last night - several times their thunder goo just completely overwhelmed the theater's sound system -- all that came through was a rumble rattle -- hilarious!!!!

Do these sound designers know what they are doing? Do they ever listen to their own product?

I’m used to it by now but that got even my attention. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

A three point jump in preliminaries  for a top 10 corps should never happen. It tells you how badly the judges performed in their previous show.

Or in this one 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

I really don't think we're going to see anything near a record score for 1st or 2nd place. Those happen when you have one or two corps who dominate across every caption. This year the top two will be feeling the pressure from the major talents right below them. It's likely that high brass, high percussion, and possibly even high guard will go to neither of them.

nope - there isn't a corps dominating in all/most of the captions - it's all divided up - which holds the score down

31 minutes ago, tedrick said:

How did they sound live? That is all that matters. It is not really possible to get a completely accurate view of their actual sound in the theater. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeD said:

How did they sound live? That is all that matters. It is not really possible to get a completely accurate view of their actual sound in the theater. 

This.

I have watched corps on Flomarching and they sound like a boom box with all the bass and then watched a video from the stands and they sound balanced. Sometimes those speakers are pointing right at the Flomarching mic stands

• Like 1

For once, I was sitting in what may be the best spot for balance between audio and visual at Lucas Oil Stadium, Section 240. I will say that the electronics for almost all of the corps were excellently balanced to my ear, nothing like what we've heard on FloMarching or the cinema.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

This.

I have watched corps on Flomarching and they sound like a boom box with all the bass and then watched a video from the stands and they sound balanced. Sometimes those speakers are pointing right at the Flomarching mic stands

I can tell you that it sounds exactly the same, or worse, in the stands. 

EDIT: And our seats are two rows above Kevin.  

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2