See you at DCA World Championships!

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

One year at Rochester it got cold so I bought a Govies long sleeve T-shirt (Get On The Bus) that was from year before. This was when some DCPers wore Guess Who badges that looked like Staff passes. 

Guess year old corps shirt and looks like staff pass was confusing. After the 3rd person complimented my on the job the Govies did I quit explaining. Just did “thank you” like I was from MN and never been there in my life.

To me, this is a bigger issue. the 'fan of the activity in general' seems to be dying,  Bandma Jones and Aunt Mabel don't get it nor understand that one can appreciate and enjoy everyone, and NOT be there because we were an alumni of a  current competitor or because we have a family member competing.... or we're staff or support personnel.

This issue kills me every time it happens now. Part of me thinks it's funny, but realizing why these people think this way really concerns me. No one really explains this is supposed to be different, and these people force their HS Band template upon Drum Corps for IMHO, the worse.

Edited by BigW

12 minutes ago, BigW said:

To me, this is a bigger issue. the 'fan of the activity in general' seems to be dying,  Bandma Jones and Aunt Mabel don't get it nor understand that one can appreciate and enjoy everyone, and NOT be there because we were an alumni of a  current competitor or because we have a family member competing.... or we're staff or support personnel.

This issue kills me every time it happens now. Part of me thinks it's funny, but realizing why these people think this way really concerns me. No one really explains this is supposed to be different, and these people force their HS Band template upon Drum Corps for IMHO, the worse.

Oh I’ve been thinking both DCI and DCA have been losing general interest fans for decades now. Seems like the butts in the seats are alumni, family or friends. Well you lose the last 2 groups soon as the member leaves. And as fast as the activity changes the alumni see it as something different and decides to find something else to follow. 

As for making it like MB not sure if that is a help or not. No idea what today’s members are looking for in dc. Just seems like for a while DCI went with a “do something.. now... anything” and hit the panic button.

My worry is if the planning either circuit is doing falls under long term or “oh Lord let’s just make sure we survive until the next year”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, BigW said:

You should have told them you were the Tuna. :innocent::laugh::whistle:

My beard still had color then 😝

Seriously 2nd(?) year at Annapolis Charlie couldn’t march due to back issues. He was sitting in a lawn chair watching Finals from the hill over the end zone. Kris and I were taking a break and sat with him for a few Corps. One of the nicest guys you ever wanted to talk to. Family has a history in corps and had a great time talking to him

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My beard still had color then 😝

Seriously 2nd(?) year at Annapolis Charlie couldn’t march due to back issues. He was sitting in a lawn chair watching Finals from the hill over the end zone. Kris and I were taking a break and sat with him for a few Corps. One of the nicest guys you ever wanted to talk to. Family has a history in corps and had a great time talking to him

Oh, he's a 10 in the cool scale. Would like to meet him some time. :worthy:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh I’ve been thinking both DCI and DCA have been losing general interest fans for decades now. Seems like the butts in the seats are alumni, family or friends. Well you lose the last 2 groups soon as the member leaves. And as fast as the activity changes the alumni see it as something different and decides to find something else to follow. 

As for making it like MB not sure if that is a help or not. No idea what today’s members are looking for in dc. Just seems like for a while DCI went with a “do something.. now... anything” and hit the panic button.

Some alumni see it that way, others in a couple of corps have a base that's supportive of the effort and get that things have to be hip to the sheets to keep the corps relevant. One corps on the DCI side apparently has some that don't understand that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My worry is if the planning either circuit is doing falls under long term or “oh Lord let’s just make sure we survive until the next year”.

Just spitballin' here in my  "just a fan" mode...LOL...

It seems, at least to me over here in the cheap seats, that DCI has more or less found its focus, in terms of its target market, while DCA is more in survival mode. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, BigW said:

Somewhat related story- Doc Simeone, the Simeone Museum guy brought his Mille Miglia winning 1938 Alfa to the Modern race event in Italy, the crowd goes gaga, thinks he's the actual driver from 1938, Clemente Biondetti. People clamor for autographs... Doc Simeone's not sure how many he signed as "Clemente Biondetti". :satisfied:

Kind of like how Chumley told me if people keep asking me if I'm with White Sabres I should tell them I'm Bill Snook. Amy says I have too much hair to get away with it. :laugh:

you do have too much hair

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

DCi attendance has been growing for several years now. They realized that the key to growth is the future. And sitting in Williamsport last year at age 50, I felt really young

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It seems, at least to me over here in the cheap seats, that DCI has more or less found its focus, in terms of its target market, while DCA is more in survival mode. 

well, it's in a mode. Not quite sure which one

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Nothing wrong in growing a young audience. It's essential to any activity. MLB is desperately trying to do just that.

What makes me wonder is the perceived  very short shelf life of the new fans with DCI.

No major sports that I know if have a fan base that's a 3 year expendable crop. They want people to follow for a long time from young on. They try to get the new fans in, but then they try to keep them. I really can't see the model as healthy unless it's more of a throw the hands up and run with the HS Band model, which is a weird duck to begin with in so many ways. Might explain why I feel Bandma Jones and Aunt Mabel are shoving me out the door while they scream "THEY'RE ALWAYS READYYYYY!!!!!!!!!" for you know who. :sleep:

• Like 1