Spartans Encore Performance

Is it just me or is it insane that they are moving the Open Class Championship Encore performance to the end of Semis instead of before Finals?  So Spartans now have to perform twice in one night and do not get the exposure of being the intro for the big show.  Why?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tony L. said:

Is it just me or is it insane that they are moving the Open Class Championship Encore performance to the end of Semis instead of before Finals?  So Spartans now have to perform twice in one night and do not get the exposure of being the intro for the big show.  Why?

I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering if it might just be an error on the website. It mentions nothing about the age-out ceremony. 

I am not so sure about that.  I know I am no longer hanging out for the final scores on Semis because they always drag it out way too long.  But if they were to lead into the first corps on Saturday, I think that would be a bigger crowd.  But, I do not remember if OC champ usually went on before or after the Marines.  Should be right before corps #12 IMHO.

Just now, Tony L. said:

I am not so sure about that.  I know I am no longer hanging out for the final scores on Semis because they always drag it out way too long.  But if they were to lead into the first corps on Saturday, I think that would be a bigger crowd.  But, I do not remember if OC champ usually went on before or after the Marines.  Should be right before corps #12 IMHO.

The last few years it’s been an hour and a half before 12th place steps off and almost an hour before the Marines step off.  The stands always look pretty barren for it.  

I think I agree with some others that tomorrow night after Bloo will be a better performance slot. Full stands, everyone watching on FLO. Yea, it’s a double performance day, but it’s also their last, and they’ll be able to have a blast in front of a packed house.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony L. said:

I know how horribly OC gets treated on Finals night.  Pretty much an embarassment.  The thanks to sponsors should go first, then Marines and then OC champion.  No idea why DCI seems content to make prefinals so excruciating.

Sponsors want their money's worth of recognition.

Don't think anyone has mentioned yet that the Spartans having their encore at the end of tonight instead of tomorrow afternoon means that they can pretty much end their season on the same day as all the other OC semifinalists. They no longer have to worry about sticking around another day to perform their whole show for barely anyone in the stands, well over an hour before the Finals competition begins.

Honestly, after thinking about it some more, I think DCI should stick to this format of having the OC champion perform for the Semifinals crowd. Sure, performing twice in a day may seem like a lot, but that's exactly what the World Class champion does every single year. Why not for Open Class as well?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1