DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

Just now, lawdn said:

Academy - Terrific performance. Brass and percussion a treat. Guard doing great work but much was hard to see due to staging. A corps this talented should be performing Saturday. The performers maxed out the show. They still have the suavity and elegance but have lost the lightness that made them crowd favorites. Still - a salute to you, corps members - well done!

Elegantly put, and I agree all around. I really miss Klesch as the brass arranger as well! That sound worked so perfectly for them.

I'm here for the light up triangles.  But super wish they'd have finished the peak of the big one...

• Like 1

The sound guy's happy.

9 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

And not an unfair one, honestly. I guess there's just more to build on with a dark or angsty show theme — you can't have resolution in a show without conflict/tension.

I think so. But is there conflict in Blooo’s show? As you implied, I think, it is far removed from those dark themes and it is without doubt a stellar show. Stellar-ly performed. When I watch it, I’m not really interested so much in a story or narrative.

And having just typed all this, I realize for the gazillionth time that I know mostly nothing about show design. Just what I like and don’t like.

• Like 1

Next on the field is Pacific Crest from Diamond Bar, California. Here is their 2019 program information, courtesy of Drum Corps Xperience:

Everglow

Awakening by Bradley Kerr Green | Jonathan Zuniga | Ezekiel Lanser
Ready Player One by Alan Silvestri
Meta by Bradley Kerr Green | Jonathan Zuniga | Ezekiel Lanser
View From Olympus by John Psathas
Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith
Insight – Haywyre by Martin Sebastian Vogt
Edward Scissorhands by Danny Elfman

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No but it was thoughtless. 

It was a joke based on...well, I'm sure you know what happened a few years ago. 

This is by far the best use of lighting effects in a drum corps show.

2 minutes ago, Fracker said:

Does Flo seriously have the stereo channels reversed?  I just did a sound channel check and my stuff is OK but Scouts and Academy's sounds were clearly flipped.

I reversed the wiring to my L/R amps because I thought the sound was reversed.

• Thanks 1