DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

Just now, mfrontz47 said:

Blue Knights have the equivalent of an arthouse film. You don't have to get it- I think it's very thoughtful and reflective on ideas like memory, escape, identity- it also reminds me of The Giver (though that may be due to the narrator sounding like Jeff Bridges). 

This.  I feel like watching them is like watching some sort of concert art version of drum corps.  It's just an aural landscape.  They do some interesting things with the mirrors that get there visually but it's visually a bit too subtle.  But that music book is gonna get a billion relistens from me this winter. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

dude! observe much?

Yes, I do. A lot in fact. But you of all people know how much there is to see in each show, ESPECIALLY when you’re seeing it from the front for only the second time, the first time being the day before.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

There was so much more MARCHING in 2005.

There's a heck of a lot more MOVEMENT now. Every corps, every kid... they barely stop moving. There are no down moments where you're not contributing musically or visually.

Agreed. Not sure it's as effective, though.

Constant movement seems a bit like music without any rests.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Mike Jackson’s writing is legend. Every great lick he wrote for the trilogy is in this years’ show.

And the puzzled look on Mike's face last night when Steve Rondinaro asked him, "Now, what is it that the drums do?"    Several people in my theater actually laughed audibly,.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 1

Next on the field is the Boston Crusaders from Boston, Massachusetts. Here is their 2019 program information, courtesy of Drum Corps Xperience:

Goliath

Enough of Our Machines by Ryan Lott
Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Roland Orzabal | Ian Stanley | Chris Hughes
On the Shoulders of Giants by Peter Graham
Giant Steps by John Coltrane
My Shot by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Fanfare for Rocky by Bill Conti
Once Upon a Castle by Michael Daugherty