DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

1 minute ago, hostrauser said:

Yes, what they do today is FAR more difficult. Marching around with your upper body locked in form is much easier to produce a consistent brass tone than, say, bent 45 degrees sideways and then switching positions in the middle of a passage. The core strength required by modern drum corps brass is just silly impressive.

Go back and watch 1993 Star, really watch it. As impressive and ground breaking as that show was, the visual ensemble was a mess. Just lots of little glitches in timing of forms and movement. They were doing something SO new and SO difficult (for the time) that it never QUITE gelled as a whole. Every corps in the Top 12 today, probably the Top 25, is doing a visual book with demand that blows 93 Star out of the water.

I'm not saying it's BETTER. That is a matter of opinion. As N.E. Brigand said earlier, non-stop movement is like music with no rests. But what the kids do today is sure as heck a lot harder. That's inarguable.

Go watch Garfield ‘85. Seriously. 

• Like 2

So bloody!   I knew it was coming tonight but still.  

• Like 1

Is the blood effect new? 

13 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Which Bocook Cadets shows don’t you like?

I was referring to Boston actually, his arrangements for Boston just don't do anything for me. 

Though at the cadets I wasn't a fan of much of his arrangements in the 2000s. At the same time, he has arranged one of my favorite brass books ever (Cadets 2013)

He has been phenomenal at Blue Knights in my opinion. Im guessing the differences has to do with the design teams involved 

• Like 2

You gotta admit, that's a cool Goliath character.

+++

Boston could have brought the house down if, when marching the stick figure Goliath the tubas (the head) separated from the rest of the body.

+++

OK, that was a gory ending.  Apparently, the crowd likes gore.  😱

Just now, Prtzdle said:

Is the blood effect new? 

Added last night.  Got a LOT of reaction in my theater

I have never seen a guard this good. That was phenomenal and flawless. The guy playing David is just fearless and amazing. They deserve a perfect score in guard. 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3