DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I’m sorry but that is an insane take.

Not Insane, .... Reasonable, within a tenth of being correct.....

21 minutes ago, crswaney200bloo said:

And I fly to Indy and riot.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Give me a shout out if you end up on LivePD tomorrow night rioting by yourself. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Also is there really such a thing as an entire panel being partial to a particular group? Doesnt seem likely that it can or will happen. I know some judges are biased AGAINST groups, but an entire panel? No group has a panel that will enable them the win.

Just look at the past scores from tomorrow's panel for 2019 for BD vs. Bluecoats.   Every single judge has favored Bluecoats, except one (Jeff).   I have never seen a panel this lop sided.   If this holds true, Bluecoats are going to win by quite a bit.   Then many people will be asking who in DCI picks judges and how.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Debbie Downer Alert: The closer the corps are in quality, the greater the influence in judging. The panels simply cannot decide who’s better, BD or Bluecoats. 

THREE independent shows in “CHAMPIONSHIP” week, and the outcomes determined by individual BIAS.

Someone predicted this so well last night showing pluses and minuses of the judges for their preferences. They correctly predicted a BD win tonight. Tomorrow, Bloo wins going away. 

For years this silly scoring system worked because of the dominance of ONE corps. Times are changing. With those changing times it will be incumbent upon DCI to create a better scoring methodology.  

So, for one night, congrats BD.  Tomorrow will be a different story. 

I dunno, year after year I seem to care more about who wins CG, Perc, and Brass than overall placement. Sure, it's nice to see the show I love the most win, but... that rarely happens. At least in recent years, the Founder's Trophy is more like "yay you did the goodest in general" than the end-all-be-all. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Just look at the past scores from tomorrow's panel for 2019 for BD vs. Bluecoats.   Every single judge has favored Bluecoats, except one (Jeff).   I have never seen a panel this lop sided.   If this holds true, Bluecoats are going to win by quite a bit.   Then many people will be asking who in DCI picks judges and how.

Eh. BC actually lost points for the first time this entire season. It was apparently a clearly disjointed run. It happens, and it’s better to have it happen in semis than finals. 

I suspect the gap will close but BD will win by .1

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Is there a tiebreaker for caption awards?

If it’s a tie, the winner on finals night gets the award. That’s why it all comes down tomorrow for the Zingali. BD win guard, it’s theirs. If Boston wins by 0.05 or more, they get it. All comes down to Sturgeon’s opinion...

If BD finishes first tomorrow night, this could the first time you can say, "They're not BLOOING, they're BOOING"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh Lord. Bluecoats have been performing their show better than BD almost all season. They have also won a majority of the meetups this season. 

All that shows is that at the time that those judges saw BD and Bloo, they thought Bloo was performing the show better. Opinions change, and they very well could tomorrow night 

Some of the good judges, Judge the night Jim Sturgeon comes to mind..

Some have biases Chumley comes to mind...

While the previous scores are not an exact science, they do give you an idea of tendancies..

And yes absolutely the judges should all be judging the show tomorrow night, but the judges all have to give an opinion of the show (Rep, Substance, Content) and this is where Judge gives his placement of which shows they like best.. Which being 50% of their score could all others things being equal determine the outcome..

in the end All Judges are human can change their mind, but at this level when they have to face these designers in a couple of months in BOA and in WGI there's history to look back on how they react to certain designers..