DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

10 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Their prelims prediction using the same approach was way off though, and lots of people predicted BD would squeak past Bloo based on the performances tonight.

For prelims, I predicted, by using the past score history approach,  that Bluecoats would win by .6, they won by .1

I predicted a tie for semi's, using the same method,  so it was off by .15

4 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Some of the good judges, Judge the night Jim Sturgeon comes to mind..

Some have biases Chumley comes to mind...

While the previous scores are not an exact science, they do give you an idea of tendancies..

And yes absolutely the judges should all be judging the show tomorrow night, but the judges all have to give an opinion of the show (Rep, Substance, Content) and this is where Judge gives his placement of which shows they like best.. Which being 50% of their score could all others things being equal determine the outcome..

in the end All Judges are human can change their mind, but at this level when they have to face these designers in a couple of months in BOA and in WGI there's history to look back on how they react to certain designers..

I think you missed my point. 

If this was 2014 and you were looking at the panels for each night, would you say every panel is BD favored just because all of those judges rated BD higher throughout the season?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

From a 2016 DCI.org article giving an overview of DCI judging, as worded by Michael Cesario:

"The Music Analysis and Visual Analysis judges are the classically trained judges, the most scientific in their approach. They analyze how the pieces of the puzzle fit together and they focus on the detailing … how is the music or visual orchestration done, how well is that utilized, what are the developmental phrases, and how is the show composed and constructed."

Right, but there's still a "Content" section for the normal music captain. So... why.

9 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Just look at the past scores from tomorrow's panel for 2019 for BD vs. Bluecoats.   Every single judge has favored Bluecoats, except one (Jeff).   I have never seen a panel this lop sided.   If this holds true, Bluecoats are going to win by quite a bit.   Then many people will be asking who in DCI picks judges and how.

I’m not worried about this for a couple reasons...

Blue Devils didn’t beat Bluecoats until Murfreesboro so anything before then, I don’t count as THIS was the turning point where Blue Devils had to have done something to finally make the move ahead. Any show judged before this night was the “beatable” Devils, so judges opinions have a decent shot at changing now. The other reason is the 3 or 4 judges that have judged these two since that night in Murfreesboro had similar spreads then as to what happened tonight in their captions. More than half the panel is a wild card in my mind so it’s totally up in the air how tomorrow night unfolds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Just look at the past scores from tomorrow's panel for 2019 for BD vs. Bluecoats.   Every single judge has favored Bluecoats, except one (Jeff).   I have never seen a panel this lop sided.   If this holds true, Bluecoats are going to win by quite a bit.   Then many people will be asking who in DCI picks judges and how.

I think you're reading more into an 0.1 spread than you should. 

The prelims panel shifted 0.5 towards BD, relative to those judges' prior head-to-head spreads. The semis panel shifted 0.15 towards BD, relative to their prior spreads. It's not hard to imagine Saturday's panel also seeing things differently.

The judges wouldn't be on the finals panel if DCI believed they couldn't fairly assess the top 2 corps!

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

Right, but there's still a "Content" section for the normal music captain. So... why.

What do you mean by the "normal" music caption? The only other captions within Music are Brass and Percussion.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tedrick said:

seems like he felt like just callin' em like he sees em the heck with what the previous trends have been -- which is ok --

I predicted Kennedy would have Bluecoats over BD by .2 , based on past history with the two.

Kennedy had Bluecoats over BD by .2