DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

8 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

From a 2016 DCI.org article giving an overview of DCI judging, as worded by Michael Cesario:

"The Music Analysis and Visual Analysis judges are the classically trained judges, the most scientific in their approach. They analyze how the pieces of the puzzle fit together and they focus on the detailing … how is the music or visual orchestration done, how well is that utilized, what are the developmental phrases, and how is the show composed and constructed."

I guess you have to be "classically trained" to understand that, because I sure don't.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

I predicted Kennedy would have Bluecoats over BD by .2 , based on past history with the two.

Kennedy had Bluecoats over BD by .2

All that says is the performance levels between those two didn’t change in his caption...

2 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

I predicted Kennedy would have Bluecoats over BD by .2 , based on past history with the two.

yeah - but putting Cavie's over BD and BC? and BAC over BD??? That's ballsy! To me that says, I don't care what others think or have done -- I'm calling this caption my way!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Also...

Statistics, the most misleading set of facts that there are in this world. 

For example, Kennedy had it as Crown, Bluecoats and Cavaliers last time he judged this caption. Tonight he had Crown, SCV then Cavaliers. I doubt you predicted that but that 0.2 pt difference between BD and Bluecoats was right on. Easy to pick and choose the information that works for an argument.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think you missed my point. 

If this was 2014 and you were looking at the panels for each night, would you say every panel is BD favored just because all of those judges rated BD higher throughout the season?

No They where the class of the field that year..

I use this analysis when reviewing two corps that are slotted in competition against one another..

Judges at this level rarely change their mind between two corps unless there is an obvious performance difference/error or a drastic change in their show.. 

IF Bloo goes out tomorrow and has a music phasing issue, a Soloist Frack, and Guard Drop and BD has a perfect show, then yes BD should win, Outside of that, if the performances are comparable and there are no obvious differences, I would say that Bluecoats has the edge based on these judges have slotted the corps..

The judges that might change their opinion are the ones who haven't seen the corps since San Antonio, of which there are a couple on tomorrows panel if I remember correctly.

11 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

All that says is the performance levels between those two didn’t change in his caption...

Correct.  That's my point.