DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

I know very little about the scoring, so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can clear something up for me. Are the Rep/Content scores really just design scores? Or are they based on performance too?

If they are solely about design, that seems problematic to me. I understand that the design of each show is always changing throughout the season (sometimes in big ways, and sometimes in small ways). But, if my assumption is right, 50% of the score is based on design. And isn't design mostly in the hands of the staff rather than the MMs? Obviously some aspects of the design are influenced by the talent level of the MMs (i.e., what they are capable of handling), but it seems kind of perverse to me to place so much value on what staffers (some of them paid, and none of them likely eligible to actually march) come up with. Don't get me wrong--I think there should definitely be a place in the scoring for design, but it seems very overweighted IMO.

Maybe I am understanding this all wrong though.

50 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

For prelims, I predicted, by using the past score history approach,  that Bluecoats would win by .6, they won by .1

I predicted a tie for semi's, using the same method,  so it was off by .15

What exactly is the past score history approach?   I'd argue you need to look at a finals judge, judging the caption he/she is covering on Finals night, judging BD and BC head to head.  And .. I'd argue in the past three weeks.  Anything earlier?   hmmmm

If the "past score history approach" is judges scores outside of head to head matchups ... well ... there are plenty of lectures on this forum about assuming anything from comparing scores from separate shows.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I can't find too many examples of head to head, same captions with Finals judges this season.  GE judges?  Stone had BC over BD by .1 .... three weeks ago.  Jones had BC over BD by .1.  Similar GE caption gaps tonight.  Although an interesting one -- Dillon had BC over BD in GE recently .... and guess who he went for tonight?  BD by .05.  

It all goes to say ... don't overthink or overanalyze panel "bias".  Performance level matters bigtime.  2015 is a classic example, with a similar "panel stacked for Crown" proclamations.   What a great season!  Good luck to both "Blues"

Edited by bgg80
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

What do you mean by the "normal" music caption? The only other captions within Music are Brass and Percussion.

Right, the non “Analysis” parts.

28 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Also...

Statistics, the most misleading set of facts that there are in this world. 

For example, Kennedy had it as Crown, Bluecoats and Cavaliers last time he judged this caption. Tonight he had Crown, SCV then Cavaliers. I doubt you predicted that but that 0.2 pt difference between BD and Bluecoats was right on. Easy to pick and choose the information that works for an argument.

I was only interested in the analysis between BD and Bluecoats.  Trying to predict who would win that day.  I had Bluecoats up by .15 for semi's, so i was off by .3 with the spread and had the incorrect winner.   For prelims, i had the correct winner, but off by .5 with the spread.

Edited by 27Socal

4 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

I know very little about the scoring, so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can clear something up for me. Are the Rep/Content scores really just design scores? Or are they based on performance too?

If they are solely about design, that seems problematic to me. I understand that the design of each show is always changing throughout the season (sometimes in big ways, and sometimes in small ways). But, if my assumption is right, 50% of the score is based on design. And isn't design mostly in the hands of the staff rather than the MMs? Obviously some aspects of the design are influenced by the talent level of the MMs (i.e., what they are capable of handling), but it seems kind of perverse to me to place so much value on what staffers (some of them paid, and none of them likely eligible to actually march) come up with. Don't get me wrong--I think there should definitely be a place in the scoring for design, but it seems very overweighted IMO.

Maybe I am understanding this all wrong though.

To me, the more cleanly something is performed, the more clearly the design comes across. Therefor, the rep/perf scores go hand in hand

• Like 3

1 hour ago, quijeros said:

Getting up for Spartans encore is sad, but I don't blame anyone for leaving during this.

Long way away, but following on here. Too bad that on maybe the Spartans finest night in their long history the crowd leaves. Dan Potter pays homage to two corps that never made the trip, then insults the Spartans DM literally saying they won by default. 

Really sucks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

For prelims, I predicted, by using the past score history approach,  that Bluecoats would win by .6, they won by .1

I predicted a tie for semi's, using the same method,  so it was off by .15

And what will you say tomorrow , when you are way off by .15 Again ?