DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

Alright. Time for pizza, vodka, and Schiitt's Creek.  See you tomorrow everyone.

Edited by jasgre2000
Filter circumvention
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluehull said:

Long way away, but following on here. Too bad that on maybe the Spartans finest night in their long history the crowd leaves. Dan Potter pays homage to two corps that never made the trip, then insults the Spartans DM literally saying they won by default. 

Really sucks

I did leave but I had to pee like a racehorse.  I did watch Spartans yesterday and today earlier. 

I was okay with the current system and to a certain extent I still am. My main issue is the need to spread after slotting a corps. I get that the most important thing is getting the placements right but I have notice spreads being formed to the point where a corps get scored almost unfairly. Like a corps in like 12th place gets underscored and a corps in 1st getting overscored. I noticed something like this in 2014 when BD got their record score of 99.650. I personally do not think that is an accurate score. Dont get me wrong, it was probably the greatest performance I had ever seen from a corps but I detected visual flaws in a show that got a perfect score in Visual. Could it have anything to do with the corps directly underneath them receiving too high of a score in that caption. Same with GE and Music.

Back to my point:

I feel that DCI should change the way that corps are scored. I like that they are getting the placements right but I feel the scores at times are a little inaccurate.

Another side note: I dont like the fact that GE is valued more than Music and Visual.

(Sorry if you were confused reading this)

posted from the DrumScorps app

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

If there is a corps I wouldn't want to follow, it's the Bluecoats.  

If there is a corps that can do it, it's the Blue Devils.  

Tomorrow is going to come down to who has the better run.  

I read this is in that “movie trailer guy” voice.

Tomorrow ...

It’s going to come down ....

To who. Has the better. Run. 

::Tom Cruise running through explosions::

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

And what will you say tomorrow , when you are way off by .15 Again ?

I found a calculation error, so I was actually off for the semi's by .30 .  The result for finals is crazy different than semi's.   I want go thru that again before i post it.

Since I don't think anybody has posted the numbers yet, here's where we stand for the caption awards.

GE: Bluecoats (BD need +0.45 Saturday to tie)

Visual Performance: Blue Devils (Bluecoats need +0.3 Saturday to tie) 

Guard: Blue Devils (Crusaders needs +0.05 Saturday to tie)

Brass: Crown (Bluecoats need +0.15 Saturday to tie)

Percussion: Vanguard (BD need +0.35 Saturday to tie)

Just like last year, Guard is the only one of these that is up for grabs at finals.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluehull said:

Long way away, but following on here. Too bad that on maybe the Spartans finest night in their long history the crowd leaves. Dan Potter pays homage to two corps that never made the trip, then insults the Spartans DM literally saying they won by default. 

Really sucks

Did the person who made the decision to put the Spartans on after a full day of drum corps actually think people would stay??

3 minutes ago, Cfmninjaa said:

I was okay with the current system and to a certain extent I still am. My main issue is the need to spread after slotting a corps. I get that the most important thing is getting the placements right but I have notice spreads being formed to the point where a corps get scored almost unfairly. Like a corps in like 12th place gets underscored and a corps in 1st getting overscored. I noticed something like this in 2014 when BD got their record score of 99.650. I personally do not think that is an accurate score. Dont get me wrong, it was probably the greatest performance I had ever seen from a corps but I detected visual flaws in a show that got a perfect score in Visual. Could it have anything to do with the corps directly underneath them receiving too high of a score in that caption. Same with GE and Music.

Back to my point:

I feel that DCI should change the way that corps are scored. I like that they are getting the placements right but I feel the scores at times are a little inaccurate.

Another side note: I dont like the fact that GE is valued more than Music and Visual.

(Sorry if you were confused reading this)

posted from the DrumScorps app

Trying to explain to someone new to the activity that a “perfect” score isn’t actually a perfect score but just the highest score the judge can give is the single hardest thing to do. Minds are always blown...

I agree GE needs a nerf, maybe down to 30-35-35? I don’t care really but it just needs to be less than music and visual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Welp BD, you been here before, don't worry about who is on the panel and who isn't. Don't leave it in the hands of the panel that's apparently against you. Go out do what you do that's consistently better than anyone year in year out and title number 19 is yours. 

The only panels on BD’s mind are the ones they’ll be tapdancing their way to victory on! 

• Like 1