DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

3 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I get a sense that Brandt Crocker doesn't care for single syllable corps names. He could so "welcome to the field, Gooooooooooollllllllrrr4rrrrrdghhcfghhddddd!" But instead chooses "Gold."

Think of Brandt as the Ron Burgundy of drum corps.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Was that Gold's first time in semi's?  They looked pretty happy at the end.  🙂

They found their happiness!

I’ll have to check last season as they were 3rd in OC as well then, might have made the cut.

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

Was that Gold's first time in semi's?  They looked pretty happy at the end.  🙂

it's...kinda the theme of the show.

They were in last year too.  They had a monumental jump last year in quality and size that made everyone take note.  They're definitely doing something right though as the kids seem to be having a great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I get a sense that Brandt Crocker doesn't care for single syllable corps names. He could so "welcome to the field, Gooooooooooollllllllrrr4rrrrrdghhcfghhddddd!" But instead chooses "Gold."

Brandt is getting up there in years. I believe Dan Potter is being groomed to take over for him. He seems to be doing more and more shows.

Just now, Jake W. said:

I do not care for original music on the field, although Gold this year is one of the better offerings I've seen in awhile in that happily-fading trend.

But. Watching four performances of it in a week is enough to make it quite uninteresting on the fourth read, whereas I'm already anticipating listening to Legends & Spartans' for the fourth time.

Because I checked out a bit, I switched to High Cam and counted; looks like Gold is ever so slightly shy of a full corps at 151. A full 80 member brassline. Love that. It looks like guard is the only (slightly) smaller-than-traditional section at 28 members. 

Makes me wonder if they're the biggest OC corps?? Legends looks pretty darn close to a full 154 the last few seasons but I've never counted. 

I was counting Tuesday night, and the top corps moved too much for me to ever get a good count on the brass, but I had Legends at 140. Might have missed some.

Guardians had a big horn line too, as I recall.

Just now, Rich Cline said:

Brandt is getting up there in years. I believe Dan Potter is being groomed to take over for him. He seems to be doing more and more shows.

I also really liked the announcer who did Open Class championships earlier this week. I'm sorry I missed his name.

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Does anyone know if Spartans have a souvie stand here?  I’ve walked the concourse twice and I haven’t seen one. 

They didn't have one at Open Class finals, so I don't think it exists.

• Thanks 1

Next on the field is Legends from Kalamazoo, Michigan. Here is their 2019 program information, courtesy of Drum Corps Xperience:

Song of the Siren

La Mer by Claude DeBussey
Pure Imagination by Leslie Bricusse | Anthony Newley
Aquarium (from Carnival of the Animals) by Camille Saint-Saens
Genie in a Bottle by David Frank | Steve Kipner | Pamela Sheyne
Finale (from The Abyss) by Alan Silvestri
Symphony No. 10 by Dmitri Shostakovich