DrumScorps

DCI World Championship Semis - Friday, August 9, 2019

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Debbie Downer Alert: The closer the corps are in quality, the greater the influence in judging. The panels simply cannot decide who’s better, BD or Bluecoats. 

THREE independent shows in “CHAMPIONSHIP” week, and the outcomes determined by individual BIAS.

Someone predicted this so well last night showing pluses and minuses of the judges for their preferences. They correctly predicted a BD win tonight. Tomorrow, Bloo wins going away. 

For years this silly scoring system worked because of the dominance of ONE corps. Times are changing. With those changing times it will be incumbent upon DCI to create a better scoring methodology.  

So, for one night, congrats BD.  Tomorrow will be a different story. 

 

 

Why even have them perform tomorrow night then?  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

frontensemble.com 

A couple of us did the calculations when the judges where announced yesterday...

Most judges have judged both BD and Bluecoats and almost all but one had Bluecoats ahead in their captions by a .1 

Oh Lord. Bluecoats have been performing their show better than BD almost all season. They have also won a majority of the meetups this season. 

All that shows is that at the time that those judges saw BD and Bloo, they thought Bloo was performing the show better. Opinions change, and they very well could tomorrow night 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, brassboy said:

BD and Bloo both had minor ensemble tears.

Bloo seemed rushed at least twice. Wasn’t watching guard, but drums seemed out of sync.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

If history tells us anything, its Blue Devils tomorrow night. I don't want it to happen, but history isn't on my side...

Actually, this is the exact same semifinals spread as when Blue Devils jumped Crown in 2015

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Debbie Downer Alert: The closer the corps are in quality, the greater the influence in judging. The panels simply cannot decide who’s better, BD or Bluecoats. 

THREE independent shows in “CHAMPIONSHIP” week, and the outcomes determined by individual BIAS.

Someone predicted this so well last night showing pluses and minuses of the judges for their preferences. They correctly predicted a BD win tonight. Tomorrow, Bloo wins going away. 

For years this silly scoring system worked because of the dominance of ONE corps. Times are changing. With those changing times it will be incumbent upon DCI to create a better scoring methodology.  

So, for one night, congrats BD.  Tomorrow will be a different story. 

 

 

Their prelims prediction using the same approach was way off though, and lots of people predicted BD would squeak past Bloo based on the performances tonight.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ZachDrumCorps said:

Actually, this is the exact same semifinals spread as when Blue Devils jumped Crown in 2015

Funny, I just wrote that in the Bloo thread.

Great minds think alike!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Bloo seemed rushed at least twice. Wasn’t watching guard, but drums seemed out of sync.

I noticed specifically after the trumpet ensembles feature it was a little shaky for a few counts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Debbie Downer Alert: The closer the corps are in quality, the greater the influence in judging. The panels simply cannot decide who’s better, BD or Bluecoats. 

THREE independent shows in “CHAMPIONSHIP” week, and the outcomes determined by individual BIAS.

Someone predicted this so well last night showing pluses and minuses of the judges for their preferences. They correctly predicted a BD win tonight. Tomorrow, Bloo wins going away. 

For years this silly scoring system worked because of the dominance of ONE corps. Times are changing. With those changing times it will be incumbent upon DCI to create a better scoring methodology.  

So, for one night, congrats BD.  Tomorrow will be a different story. 

 

 

Actually tonight was "supposed" to be a tie according to those calculations. 

But I guess confirmation bias works too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Checking the recaps... It's all about that visual... And bloo getting second to BD's 1st on 2 of 4 GE Judges. 

That content percussion number for BD helped a lot too....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

There's the SOA and Crossmen age outs doing the annual photo together

If they hold to past tradition, each Crossman will carry a Spirit member's delta during their Finals performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.