Madison Scouts 2020

Indianapolis is much easier and cheaper to for rehearsals/camps, as they have direct flights in and out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Coats have been in Indiana in May/June for at least two years now. Cavies in Michigan. Troopers in Idaho this past year. Some weekend camps for some Midwest corps have been in Texas.

He wasn't specific to auditions, and I think camps make sense to be where access is easy. But for auditions, why should Madison area kids have to travel away from Madison to audition? Local band directors would send a lot of kids to auditions when they were held at East which is a great way to generate interest in the corps. If they have to travel they can go to any corps that they want while Madison would be the path of least resistance. 

If I were a parent and my kid wanted to march I would not pay for him to travel to audition IF my local corps held auditions in town. Of course if I had a "her", I would travel with her to Devils!

Madison should try to reestablish a presence in Madison again and holding and audition/clinic in Madison.

Edited by Gantang
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, Gantang said:

He wasn't specific to auditions, and I think camps make sense to be where access is easy. But for auditions, why should Madison area kids have to travel away from Madison to audition? Local band directors would send a lot of kids to auditions when they were held at East which is a great way to generate interest in the corps. If they have to travel they can go to any corps that they want while Madison would be the path of least resistance. 

If I were a parent and my kid wanted to march I would not pay for him to travel to audition IF my local corps held auditions in town. Of course if I had a "her", I would travel with her to Devils!

Madison should try to reestablish a presence in Madison again and holding and audition/clinic in Madison.

Sure. Holding some of their auditions in Madison area makes good sense. Maybe camps make sense there, too, especially if they are less of a destination corps than before. I was pointing out that link to geography is no more, generally. Even Vanguard spent a week or two outside of California this June.

• Like 1

Completely understood. I marched in the 90's when the bulk of the corps I marched with were locals. Rehearsals every weekend plus one night a week, so you kinda had to be close-ish. Only a small handful of members were out-of-towners. Now days many members of say the Blue Devils or Vanguard are from out of state and audition/clinics are held in several places (including Concord) throughout the country. I have no problem with that. There's great talent all over and they are making themselves accessible to such.

My kid is attending UW-Madison this fall and I was sort of excited at the idea of having a Madison Scout in the family. The convenience of having not just any corps but THE Madison Scouts right in your backyard is hard to pass up. That is until I found out they don't actually rehearse anywhere near their home city (Madison peeps, please enlighten me if I'm incorrect about this). Without a vehicle to drive to Indy, it's a tough call if auditioning is even worth it. I guess there's always the Mega Bus?  

If one is having to travel that far to march a "local" drum corps, then they might as well travel a little further to join a different corps, perhaps one that has a better chance of making Finals. This refers back to the OP's statement about growing the organization, retaining membership, attracting more talent, tapping into LOCAL resources, etc. I would love nothing more than to see Scouts return to their former glory. I can't imagine there's anyone on this board who would disagree. 

Edited by LyricalCoder

On 8/10/2019 at 8:07 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Here is a suggestion I have been thinking about:  Bring back the Capital Sound (or call them something else) as an Open Class feeder Corps as part of the reorg.  Here are some reasons why:

Open Class Shadow is 10 to 12 miles from Madison in Oregon, WI.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bass5 said:

Open Class Shadow is 10 to 12 miles from Madison in Oregon, WI.

That's the Shadow Armada folks, right?  They expanded or moved out of their HS summer ensemble to Open Class, correct?

19 hours ago, LyricalCoder said:

My kid is attending UW-Madison this fall and I was sort of excited at the idea of having a Madison Scout in the family. The convenience of having not just any corps but THE Madison Scouts right in your backyard is hard to pass up. That is until I found out they don't actually rehearse anywhere near their home city (Madison peeps, please enlighten me if I'm incorrect about this). Without a vehicle to drive to Indy, it's a tough call if auditioning is even worth it. I guess there's always the Mega Bus?  

If one is having to travel that far to march a "local" drum corps, then they might as well travel a little further to join a different corps, perhaps one that has a better chance of making Finals. 

Absolutely is what I was thinking about local (UW has a lot of talented musicians) who may as well travel anywhere if there is no local corps. I hope someone convinces the leadership to hold a weekend audition/clinic in Madison.

Just now, Gantang said:

Absolutely is what I was thinking about local (UW has a lot of talented musicians) who may as well travel anywhere if there is no local corps. I hope someone convinces the leadership to hold a weekend audition/clinic in Madison.

You can’t convince the board or admin of anything. They put up walls to any critic, including deleting comments on various FB pages, including those strictly for alums if the comments are critical in any regard. It’s scary and sad, and is going to be the death of this once great organization.

2 hours ago, ndkbass said:

That's the Shadow Armada folks, right?  They expanded or moved out of their HS summer ensemble to Open Class, correct?

Hey Nick, what's up bass drum brother? Shadow Armada changed their name to Shadow when they joined DCI Open Class. I think that was 2016. I knew that their was no affiliation with the Scouts but was surprised to see there was only one Scout alumnus on staff (or admin) this year.