Madison Scouts 2020

2 hours ago, bass5 said:

Hey Nick, what's up bass drum brother? Shadow Armada changed their name to Shadow when they joined DCI Open Class. I think that was 2016. I knew that their was no affiliation with the Scouts but was surprised to see there was only one Scout alumnus on staff (or admin) this year.

Hey!

Yah, ok.  I thought so, but was not 100%.  Thanks for that information.

Good on them!

I remember drumming with them after one show in 2009 (probably Whitewater or something like that).

7 hours ago, tesmusic said:

You can’t convince the board or admin of anything. They put up walls to any critic, including deleting comments on various FB pages, including those strictly for alums if the comments are critical in any regard. It’s scary and sad, and is going to be the death of this once great organization.

tenor.gif?itemid=7369802

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoSurfBass said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7369802

Cute. But know the situation and how dire it is, or just attempt humor again.

7 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Cute. But know the situation and how dire it is, or just attempt humor again.

I've talked with alumni, I've heard the plan that corps staff has publicly disclosed to try to move forward. The "death of the organization" line is a hyperbole that should ONLY be met with humorous responses, because unless the staff catastrophically miscalculated their membership's investment in the program this year, Madison's not going away anytime in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 12:05 PM, LyricalCoder said:

Perhaps Madison Scouts could once again hold rehearsals in, oh I dunno... Madison rather than 5 hours away in Indy?

Exactly.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, mjoakes said:

Coats have been in Indiana in May/June for at least two years now. Cavies in Michigan. Troopers in Idaho this past year. Some weekend camps for some Midwest corps have been in Texas.

And that is exactly the problem. The drum corps activity must return to being a local activity with a sense of community. Having every world class drum corps recruiting all over the country is very costly. This is a niche activity and I dont believe that the current business model is sustainable. Get local and regional.

Edited by FlamMan

Many posts mention all kinds of issues: recruiting, board, closer ties with the city of Madison, etc. Many of the issues are legitimate, but what I think Madison needs most would be folks who can prioritize the issues and address the most significant issues first. Madison is bleeding and long past the band aid stage. Prioritizing probably needs to be done with a committee that can include representatives of the board, staff, alums, perhaps some folks associated with other corps, and some outsiders. It need not be a huge committee. Right now  many of the people associated with the corps are too close to the situation. A committee could spot the quick fixes, and give a timeline for the larger issues.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 7:27 PM, Tim K said:

Many posts mention all kinds of issues: recruiting, board, closer ties with the city of Madison, etc. Many of the issues are legitimate, but what I think Madison needs most would be folks who can prioritize the issues and address the most significant issues first. Madison is bleeding and long past the band aid stage. Prioritizing probably needs to be done with a committee that can include representatives of the board, staff, alums, perhaps some folks associated with other corps, and some outsiders. It need not be a huge committee. Right now  many of the people associated with the corps are too close to the situation. A committee could spot the quick fixes, and give a timeline for the larger issues.

I definitely agree that the BOD needs to be greatly expanded and include a variety of folks including those who have nothing to do with the organization.  Look at Boston's BOD, which many have referenced.  I think that is a great example to mirror.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ndkbass said:

I definitely agree that the BOD needs to be greatly expanded and include a variety of folks including those who have nothing to do with the organization.  Look at Boston's BOD, which many have referenced.  I think that is a great example to mirror.

You might be right. My preference is for smaller - manageable - but knowledge and skills-focused boards. Many nonprofits (and small liberal arts colleges) suffocate themselves with large boards. Their selection process is weighted to satisfying various factions instead of getting quality board members.

The same goes for alumni. All the corps should have a quality alumni presence on their governing boards (and of course, recognize alumni as a key group of stakeholders). But it's a mistake to think only alumni should be running these organizations. (I'd even argue that number of non-alumni > alumni.)

You need quality management, period. It makes people feel good to have a bunch of alumni on the board or one in the ED's position. Often, that leads to trouble and one reason why so much of this stuff becomes politicized and emotional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1