Madison Scouts 2020

On 8/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, FlamMan said:

And that is exactly the problem. The drum corps activity must return to being a local activity with a sense of community. Having every world class drum corps recruiting all over the country is very costly. This is a niche activity and I dont believe that the current business model is sustainable. Get local and regional.

There's nothing stopping 400-500 Wisconsin kids from showing up to an audition with Madison. Why don't they?

You inadvertently answered that rhetorical question - because it's a niche activity. When your product is niche'y, it means you have to cast a wide net to find appropriate levels of interested parties. 

The 60s and early 70s are dead, and won't be coming back. Local marching bands and WGI units do what community drum corps used to do in terms of providing low-cost part-time marching activity. Those high school and college aged kids who want to play drum corps at the major league level are attracted to the top corps and the national touring model because of how intense it is; neuter that, and they'll find something else to do.

Scouts and their alums can choose to play with the big kids, with all of the expense that entails, or they can become a DCA or Open Class corps, but they won't be able to split that difference. In the words of the strip club bouncer, 'get in or get out.'

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I predict an Adam and Eve show

Actually, a “Kiss Me Kate” show might be interesting with a Cole Porter soundtrack.

Or how about “Guys and Dolls”?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

Except for 2017 & 2018, the Madison Scouts were always easily recognizable by their uniform. I'm afraid that goes away in 2020. I dont want to see the Scouts become just another homogenized, generic, non-recognizable drum corps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Except for 2017 & 2018, the Madison Scouts were always easily recognizable by their uniform. I'm afraid that goes away in 2020. I dont want to see the Scouts become just another homogenized, generic, non-recognizable drum corps.

With all the controversy over Madison going co-ed ,I think having a recognizable uniform and

"Madison " show,even if the judges don't appreciate it,will go a long way in winning over

skeptical Scout fans.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, FlamMan said:

...Get local and regional.

How can this be implemented across the activity?

3 hours ago, Roark1 said:

How can this be implemented across the activity?

Put an age limit of 18 on it. Go back to high school and middle school members who still live with their parents.

It wouldn't work, but that's how any move back to "local only' would have to be implemented. College age performers will do something else.

They should have a show about selling Girl Scout cookies.....

• Haha 2