Madison Scouts 2020

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Put an age limit of 18 on it. Go back to high school and middle school members who still live with their parents.

It wouldn't work, but that's how any move back to "local only' would have to be implemented. College age performers will do something else.

I don't believe that DCI will implement this type of limitation on themselves.

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

They should have a show about selling Girl Scout cookies.....

thin mints could get ugly

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Put an age limit of 18 on it. Go back to high school and middle school members who still live with their parents.

It wouldn't work, but that's how any move back to "local only' would have to be implemented. College age performers will do something else.

So you have just described the competitive HS Band world, which is one reason the idea will never happen. Thousands of bands compete at varying levels all over the US...far more kids march/compete than ever before. 

On 8/11/2019 at 9:27 PM, Tim K said:

Prioritizing probably needs to be done with a committee that can include representatives of the board, staff, alums, perhaps some folks associated with other corps, and some outsiders. 

This is the board's responsibility. If they aren't doing it or aren't capable, is another committee the best solution? It's just a work around. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roark1 said:

I don't believe that DCI will implement this type of limitation on themselves.

And on that you'd be correct. I was simply laying out what would need to be done in order to help those who believe that "local" is somehow desirable at WC level achieve their goals. 

It's a non-starter of an idea to fix a problem that isn't really a problem, imho. When Madison was competitive, it was because they had the staff to write, teach, and clean their shows, not because most of the members were from the midwest.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Slingerland said:

And on that you'd be correct. I was simply laying out what would need to be done in order to help those who believe that "local" is somehow desirable at WC level achieve their goals. 

It's a non-starter of an idea to fix a problem that isn't really a problem, imho. When Madison was competitive, it was because they had the staff to write, teach, and clean their shows, not because most of the members were from the midwest.

I agree, that ship sailed a long time ago.

18 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

This is the board's responsibility. If they aren't doing it or aren't capable, is another committee the best solution? It's just a work around. 

It could. There is an expression “death by committee.” However, it is not uncommon for boards to establish ad hoc committees short term for a specific task, especially when the challenges are great. Also boards that try and do everything can also be ineffective and not do much of anything. 

On 8/15/2019 at 6:45 AM, rpbobcat said:

With all the controversy over Madison going co-ed ,I think having a recognizable uniform and

"Madison " show,even if the judges don't appreciate it,will go a long way in winning over

skeptical Scout fans.

Didn't work in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lead said:

Didn't work in 2019.

Most of the Scout fans I know liked the overall style of the uniform except:

1.The color was too yellow.

2.At some point they should have switched to the same hats

the drum line had.

Same thing,most of the Scouts fans i know liked the show concept.

The problem was not being able to fully execute that concept.

• Like 1