Madison Scouts 2020

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

And how come no one does recruiting sessions in Canada?  At minimum, the Bluecoats family shows that our Northern neighbors can produce great talent, eh?

the band world in Canada has been dying...it led to the decline and demise of Canadian corps left and right

41 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Better than holding auditions under water...

It’s local slang...but ok.

19 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Nothing is wrong with auditioning members from all over the globe. Do they recruit from U of Wisc. band?  I believe they too hail from Madison.  Even 10-20% of members local enough to practice as a group a few times between camps could not hurt.

Fair question. I know that there when I was there, there were not many UW students (in the marching band or in the School of Music... two almost completely district pools of students) that marched DCI. I know of three in the last decade, although I bet that number is slightly low. That may change going forward with the regime change in the UW band, but the most consistent source of Scouts from the state of Wisconsin in the last decade has been UW-Eau Claire, not any other high school or University. And yes, there are auditions held there for the last few years.

My larger point is that this fantasy of a viable top-tier corps drawing on local talent, playing the old hits, rehearsing at Madison East HS... it's a vapor in the air. It's as far from reality now as the days of one-handed bugle hold were from the time when the Scouts started to become mostly non-local in their membership in the early 80s.

Edited by regisminae
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The UW-Eau Claire band is far superior to the UW band. 

Hahaha. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, Jeff Ream said:

the band world in Canada has been dying...it led to the decline and demise of Canadian corps left and right

If one limits one's perspective to DCA's view of Canada (Quebec and Ontario and what one DCI judge spoons about why he's always available to judge in the USA,) I can appreciate why you come to that conclusion. However, the growth in Canada is more westward than Rustbelt communities of years past. Calgary, Edmonton, and Alberta are growing; the same with British Columbia. The Kingston to Kitchner-Waterloo-Preston corps may have diminished but have not certainly been totally terminated as Preston often posts on the DCP news page regarding their younger units. Besides Les Stentors from Sherbrooke, Que., Burlington (Ont.) Teen Band often ventures stateside and has sent a number of mms to Cadets and others; Pacificaires out in BC compete in WGI and this summer DCI I&E had several Canadian/Canadienne entries, some even winners. Calgary Showband is taught by several Cadet alums, Red Lions showband even gave Denver Blue Knights a DM who went on to become Mark Arnold's second. This current list is what I am referencing, not DCA's cemetery crew.

http://www.marching.com/links/canada/

and here's a dozen from the Greater Toronto area https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CQiqi4Iaj8

Edited by xandandl

On 9/7/2019 at 1:43 PM, corps8294 said:

The UW-Eau Claire band is far superior to the UW band. 

With regard to marching band they are vastly different styles. 

Disclaimer, I marched in the Badger Band from 1977 - 1981.