Madison Scouts 2020

Our son recently aged out from Scouts and I know they had 3-4 marching members from Japan. Not saying that justifies the expense of holding auditions there, but I'm pretty sure other corps are reaching out to potentials members there too.

On 9/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, tesmusic said:

"It helps the talent pool for sure..."

The lower talent pool most likely. The girls who are more talented have already been going to the higher tier co-ed corps. Madison is not a great corps that will be a destination for people who weren't aware of drum corps the last time Madison placed well. It is a competitive activity and most people want to part of a winner. 

3 minutes ago, Gantang said:

The lower talent pool most likely. The girls who are more talented have already been going to the higher tier co-ed corps. Madison is not a great corps that will be a destination for people who weren't aware of drum corps the last time Madison placed well. It is a competitive activity and most people want to part of a winner. 

That's true, but most people don't necessarily make it into the winning corps.

3 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

That's true, but most people don't necessarily make it into the winning corps.

Which leaves the less talented boys and girls earning a spot in Madison instead of not marching. It's hard to program and clean a show with poor talent. 

1 minute ago, Gantang said:

Which leaves the less talented boys and girls earning a spot in Madison instead of not marching. It's hard to program and clean a show with poor talent. 

You realize there is only 1 winner, right? You made your initial quote to me referring to people wanting to go to a winner, there's only 155 spots in the winner, are then saying that any corps 2 and lower also has the lesser talent? I would beg to differ, consider the Bluecoats list year were not the winner, but I would not go out and say that their members were less talented than the Blue Devils, which is what you're implying.

1 minute ago, tesmusic said:

You realize there is only 1 winner, right? You made your initial quote to me referring to people wanting to go to a winner, there's only 155 spots in the winner, are then saying that any corps 2 and lower also has the lesser talent? I would beg to differ, consider the Bluecoats list year were not the winner, but I would not go out and say that their members were less talented than the Blue Devils, which is what you're implying.

You took the word "win" too literally. I was using it as a replacement for competitive. And by competitive I mean being in a position to perform on Saturday night. It also means that you aren't "competing" against Open Class corps on Thursday night. You compared BD with BC...do you think any of the girls from either of those corps will be auditioning for a spot in Madison, or do they like "winning"? 

2 minutes ago, Gantang said:

You took the word "win" too literally. I was using it as a replacement for competitive. And by competitive I mean being in a position to perform on Saturday night. It also means that you aren't "competing" against Open Class corps on Thursday night. You compared BD with BC...do you think any of the girls from either of those corps will be auditioning for a spot in Madison, or do they like "winning"? 

Then why not type competitive? The word win and competitive have vastly different meanings, but ok, keep pushing your agenda. Thanks for hijacking the thread with improper word usage. Have a great day.

1 hour ago, Roark1 said:

With regard to marching band they are vastly different styles. 

Disclaimer, I marched in the Badger Band from 1977 - 1981.

Eat a rock. 

Anyway, yes, vastly different styles. You have to know your audience and Leckrone knew that. I’m pretty sure the UW-Eau Claire rifle spinners and flag twirlers and shuffle step marchers would not go over well in most Big Ten bands, especially in Madison. That’s not to say one is good and one is bad or one is superior and one is inferior. They are different and neither style will last long if they don’t know their audience. So I’m assuming the UW-Eau Claire band style works for them in their setting, just as the stop at the top physical style works for the UW band. But to say one is “far superior” to the other is flat out wrong and shows a lack of understanding. Also - you will never succeed at building up your band by bashing another. 

Edited by HockeyDad