Madison Scouts 2020

57 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Was that the year that the percussion switched off between snares and tenors and I remember Tommy Lee style spinning at the end? If so, that's the only thing I remember from Allentown that year.

That was our '97 show - we called it the "Barfing Unit" 😉  In '96 we had a rotating steel drum set up complete with rifle exchange overhead - we were always a little crazy when it came to GE !

Mike

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Guardguy89 said:

That was our '97 show - we called it the "Barfing Unit" 😉  In '96 we had a rotating steel drum set up complete with rifle exchange overhead - we were always a little crazy when it came to GE !

Mike

Man, I never remember songs or themes, but I think I remember music from "The Rock". I remember that, that I enjoyed the show and that there was another corps later that my wife and I liked a lot. We called them "drum corps classic" - in the 90's - Heh!!! But, Les Etoiles is the only show that stuck with me.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, FlamMan said:

I didn't say that, you did. A Japan tryout session just seems like poor ROI. I mean how many kids are you really going to recruit from Japan to justify the cost of the trip? The new recruit hit rate would be much higher locally in the USA. I just think that drum corps have strayed too far from their local communities and would like to see more local effort and involvement.

Japanese members in DCI has been going on for almost 30 years. The ones I marched with were easily some of the best performers/people I've ever met.

ROI? In terms of attracting donors, it doesn't hurt to have "international cultural experience" included in the program.

I agree with staying local -- something a lot of corps struggle/refuse to do -- but if an international pipeline is there, you'd be stupid not to use it.

Edited by ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG
grammar
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

Japanese members in DCI has been going on for almost 30 years. The ones I marched with were easily some of the best performers/people I've ever met.

ROI? In terms of attracting donors, it doesn't hurt to have "international cultural experience" included in the program.

I agree with staying local -- something a lot of corps struggle/refuse to do -- but if an international pipeline is there, you'd be stupid not to use it.

Agreed on both points

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

good pickup

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, tesmusic said:

OOn a side note, I sent a lengthy email to the new board president, and his response basically made it sound like CK should be walking on water and that the foundations of the organization have never been better.

There you have it in a nutshell.