Madison Scouts 2020

1 hour ago, madisonsmiley said:

There you have it in a nutshell. 

And couldn't be further from the truth.

CK-I know you lurk in here, do your job, if the inept board isn't going to fire you, own up and resign. You have failed the organization.

• Like 1

More staff announcements from the Madison Scouts.

http://www.madisonscouts.org/2019/09/madison-scouts-announce-2020-design-team-2/

• Like 2

Glass half full comment:  nowhere to go but up for the Scouts!  A bunch of new young faces on staff. Perhaps the next superstar or stars is among them. Let’s hope!!!

• Like 7

On 8/15/2019 at 1:35 AM, FlamMan said:

Except for 2017 & 2018, the Madison Scouts were always easily recognizable by their uniform. I'm afraid that goes away in 2020. I dont want to see the Scouts become just another homogenized, generic, non-recognizable drum corps.

Hi, guys, I hope everyone enjoyed the rest of their summer!  I for one must admit, I went through withdrawals after finals.  Absolutely love this activity.  I know I'm a bit late to the game with my post, but....Speaking of recognizable uniforms, I loved what the Cavies did this year at the closing ceremonies.  They had the entire corps in their the uniforms.  Really loved that gesture of keeping the tradition alive.  Loved how they adjusted with themed costumes for the show, but went back to their roots wearing their traditional uniform clearly stating their identity as "The Cavaliers!"   Can't wait to see how 2020 shapes out with each corps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drum Corps Guy said:

Hi, guys, I hope everyone enjoyed the rest of their summer!  I for one must admit, I went through withdrawals after finals.  Absolutely love this activity.  I know I'm a bit late to the game with my post, but....Speaking of recognizable uniforms, I loved what the Cavies did this year at the closing ceremonies.  They had the entire corps in their the uniforms.  Really loved that gesture of keeping the tradition alive.  Loved how they adjusted with themed costumes for the show, but went back to their roots wearing their traditional uniform clearly stating their identity as "The Cavaliers!"   Can't wait to see how 2020 shapes out with each corps.

Do other corps still have their traditional uniforms in storage?  How difficult would that be logistically to pull them out for essentially an hour for the whole season?

6 minutes ago, lowend said:

Do other corps still have their traditional uniforms in storage?  How difficult would that be logistically to pull them out for essentially an hour for the whole season?

actually, the Cavies wear the Green not just for Finals but parade and concert performances, wore them for Don Warren's funeral, etc. You are correct that there are logistical aspects to be considered (storage, transportation, upkeep) but these are minor compared to the confusion of the recent years (who is that corps???)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We found a card in Doris Hayes' memorabilia.  The background is the 1973 flag line and the quote is:

"Winning isn't everything . . . .

but trying is.

You'll Never Walk Alone."

I stated in my Post against the 2019 thread that current management told staff (this is several years ago) that the Scouts were about entertaining; not winning.  This was after staff challenged management to strive to win.  

My SO, who marched in 1975, told my son, who marched 2010 BD, "it doesn't suck to be a superstar!'

The Scouts need management and staff to lead the members to achieve the best they can.  After all, drum corps is a competitive activity.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, Deb's Diner said:

We found a card in Doris Hayes' memorabilia.  The background is the 1973 flag line and the quote is:

"Winning isn't everything . . . .

but trying is.

You'll Never Walk Alone."

I stated in my Post against the 2019 thread that current management told staff (this is several years ago) that the Scouts were about entertaining; not winning.  This was after staff challenged management to strive to win.  

My SO, who marched in 1975, told my son, who marched 2010 BD, "it doesn't suck to be a superstar!'

The Scouts need management and staff to lead the members to achieve the best they can.  After all, drum corps is a competitive activity.

Why can’t they strive to do BOTH?! 

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2019 at 6:00 AM, Ghost said:

Hopefully their off season of preparations and discussions has already started.

You can bet those off season discussions are every bit as impressive as their 2019 placement.