Madison Scouts 2020

41 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Colin Kaepernick?

He was fired 3 years ago. Actions have consequences.

3 hours ago, FlamMan said:

He was fired 3 years ago. Actions have consequences.

Everything has consequences. Action, inactions.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

I am laughing, picturing Mr. Ream carting those crates and crates worth of Do-si-dos and Tag-a-longs. (as with the other hand he continues his zillionth post here.)

Pass the Thin Mints please*

sayeth this Uncle of several neices and whose diabetic doctor forbids him from eating even one such cookie. Thus endeth the post.

i even sell some of the crates to others. do not come between me and thin mints

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i even sell some of the crates to others. do not come between me and thin mints

Almost like Chris Komnic and the Scouts board...do not come between them and allowing the organization to fail.

16 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Almost like Chris Komnic and the Scouts board...do not come between them and allowing the organization to fail.

yeah but i pay for the ones i keep

Let me weigh in on the $500-per-vote "challenge" from the Scouts. I was a fund-raiser for 30 of my 40-year-career; nothing good comes from this. I am not vindictive, but honestly the idea that alums pool their resources to grab board votes is not a bad one. At least, if you want to show leadership just how wrong-headed this is.

Does the gift/vote have an expiration date? Does the vote include board membership, indeed every decision made? Has not anyone considered the ethical fundraising breach built into this? We are all familiar these days with "quid pro quo." Like the incident in the national news, this version of it is rife with the worst kinds of outcomes.

The industry needs fundraising help; you good folks on here report regularly about the less-than-handful of organizations that are solvent.

I hated reading about this "challenge," but then, I have hated most of the last several years of the beloved Madison Scouts organization. I'm old; I want to hold onto this corps mattering.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BranchHill said:

Let me weigh in on the $500-per-vote "challenge" from the Scouts. I was a fund-raiser for 30 of my 40-year-career; nothing good comes from this. I am not vindictive, but honestly the idea that alums pool their resources to grab board votes is not a bad one. At least, if you want to show leadership just how wrong-headed this is.

Does the gift/vote have an expiration date? Does the vote include board membership, indeed every decision made? Has not anyone considered the ethical fundraising breach built into this? We are all familiar these days with "quid pro quo." Like the incident in the national news, this version of it is rife with the worst kinds of outcomes.

The industry needs fundraising help; you good folks on here report regularly about the less-than-handful of organizations that are solvent.

I hated reading about this "challenge," but then, I have hated most of the last several years of the beloved Madison Scouts organization. I'm old; I want to hold onto this corps mattering.

Won't that run into tax issues? When you donate to a non-profit, you can deduct the donation minus whatever gift you receive, like a t-shirt valued at $30. So if you buy a vote for $500, isn't the value of the vote $500 and then you can't deduct that donation? On a side note since a lot more people are no longer able to itemize, has that impacted drum corps donations?

12 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Won't that run into tax issues? When you donate to a non-profit, you can deduct the donation minus whatever gift you receive, like a t-shirt valued at $30. So if you buy a vote for $500, isn't the value of the vote $500 and then you can't deduct that donation? On a side note since a lot more people are no longer able to itemize, has that impacted drum corps donations?

These are all pertinent questions. Questions that, I fear, were not vetted internally before the "challenge" was issued.

1 hour ago, BranchHill said:

These are all pertinent questions. Questions that, I fear, were not vetted internally before the "challenge" was issued.

I’m sure they weren’t. Plus, again, this is not a challenge program. That was rolled out previously to give the elite access to early information...even though CK and his cronies don’t share virtually anything with those that contribute that way either. 

The $500 fee is a single year jump from $100 (not a gradual increase that would make senses) in order to have voting rights, to insure that only a select few can vote in the pre-picked board.