Madison Scouts 2020

1 hour ago, mint said:

Can someone on here explain––in as OBJECTIVE terms as possible––what about Chris Komnick is sooooo bad?

I figure that since at least half of this thread thus far is just a bunch of old folks reiterating their same complaints, the rest of us new folk can at least learn WHY we're being subjected to this lol

The argument is this:

Alumni: 'CK isn't a leader!'

CK: -Introduces new changes he feels will move things forward

Alumni: 'No... Wait...'

Summary of the entire thread: CK is a demon robot that intentionally wants to destroy the Scouts because he hates it. Also, rumor has it that he sacrifices kittens in front of orphanages that he later burns down - but again that's just a rumor. Also, back in my day G bugles used to wear superman outfits and we laughed as we walked by bandos and WE WERE COOL. Or something. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mint said:

Can someone on here explain––in as OBJECTIVE terms as possible––what about Chris Komnick is sooooo bad?

I figure that since at least half of this thread thus far is just a bunch of old folks reiterating their same complaints, the rest of us new folk can at least learn WHY we're being subjected to this lol

During his tenure the corps has missed finals 4 times. He has chased away alumni, as well as staff members, including going so far as to announce the firing of James Mason as a retirement. He micromanages everything, keeps his board out of the loop, etc. any other examples of how this pompous, arrogant individual has failed?

I think all the opinions in this thread matter to some degree, and show us just how complex this issue has become.  On 

one side, the alumni (very outspoken in many cases), and then the fans with enthusiasm, and in some cases unconvinced

about the changes in place.  This has become as big as the Madison Scouts legacy itself.  I find that its understandable 

how alumni would forever resist this change, and see where current trends in our culture influenced this change as well.

I have personally accepted what has changed knowing that this is here to stay.   My thoughts lately move to the plight of 

the Cavaliers.  Will they now find themselves under scrutiny, and a demand for the same changes?  Will the concede?  

When you consider the definition itself of  "Cavalier",  it seems obvious to me how they will respond if pressed.  

26 minutes ago, Angelee said:

I’m a nobody around here, but I’ve only been a DCI observer since I saw the 1989 DCI finals on PBS when I was a freshman in high school. I never had the opportunity to march for anyone, but I married a 90s DCI alum so we’re as a family in love with the activity! I’ve also stalked these forums for years, but I’m not much of a commenter as I had personally no official ties to the activity. Until recently!

Anyway, my son is a Madison Scout this year for his very first drum corps performing experience.  💚🤍⚜️  We as a family are so excited by the energy this program has surrounding it this year!  Both camps my son has attended has lit a fire under him that I’ve never seen. His HS experience has been wonderful, but the acceptance and kinship the Scouts has is already obvious. Even with the negatives coming into this season, the kids are on fire with passion and I’m so excited to be a part of the Scouts family!
(Just some positive words for an obviously stressful weekend in DCI)

Congrats to you and your son! Enjoy the season!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JustEnjoyIt said:

The argument is this:

Alumni: 'CK isn't a leader!'

CK: -Introduces new changes he feels will move things forward

Alumni: 'No... Wait...'

As an alum...and I certainly only speak for myself...but no, you’re wrong. Look at the reasons people cite instead of over analyzing things to fir your agenda, then answer this question, what has CK-or the board for that matter done during his tenure that had worked and out the corps on a proven positive trajectory ? Eighth place 1 time isn’t enough, btw. Show me something that proves he is effective and that the board is competent. I’ll wait for your evidence...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FTNK said:

Your corps has a ton of positive attention and apparently interest from auditionees. Be happy! 

It’s be nice if they could be transparent and say what the audition numbers were. They’re touting that they’re recording record numbers and I’d like to know what that means. Post-Mason eta? CK’s failed tenure? Post-Sal era? Post-Scott Stewart era? All-time? Oh well...so much for transparency.