Madison Scouts 2020

3 hours ago, weedyweidenthal said:

Based off the facts that after looking for a single example of your claim and your inability to provide a link to an example, it appears to be a fair assumption that your comments are inflammatory and unjust. So it begs to question, what do you have to gain by making up drama about summer marching band...? Real weird way to spend your life dude.

hiya! just got on dcp for the first time all day...sorry real life held your need up

non-discrimination...so by being all male, like cavies,...they discriminated.

He said being all-male is “one of those traditions that kept on long past its prime.”...and even mentions cavies later below

https://www.channel3000.com/some-madison-scouts-drum-bugle-corps-alumni-withdraw-support-most-support-decision-to-allow-women/

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

hiya! just got on dcp for the first time all day...sorry real life held your need up

non-discrimination...so by being all male, like cavies,...they discriminated.

He said being all-male is “one of those traditions that kept on long past its prime.”...and even mentions cavies later below

https://www.channel3000.com/some-madison-scouts-drum-bugle-corps-alumni-withdraw-support-most-support-decision-to-allow-women/

That’s quite the leap. The quote you chose came from an alumnus that has no current position within the corps and even it doesn’t reference cavaliers. It’s simply one person stating an opinion that the tradition carried on longer than necessary. One could surmise that the leadership felt that was the case simply by the fact that they changed the policy. Then the author of the article states that according to Dann, the Cavaliers are an all male drum corps... which is true. If the author asks “Are there any all male drum corps left in DCI?” do you expect him to give a different answer? 

Also, I had decided to click your profile earlier in the day when I was curious why you had responded quickly before and were then unable to do so when pressed. You were active 4 hours before my previous reply so definitely not your first time on DCP all day. 

Edited by weedyweidenthal

3 hours ago, weedyweidenthal said:

That’s quite the leap. The quote you chose came from an alumnus that has no current position within the corps and even it doesn’t reference cavaliers. It’s simply one person stating an opinion that the tradition carried on longer than necessary. One could surmise that the leadership felt that was the case simply by the fact that they changed the policy. Then the author of the article states that according to Dann, the Cavaliers are an all male drum corps... which is true. If the author asks “Are there any all male drum corps left in DCI?” do you expect him to give a different answer? 

Also, I had decided to click your profile earlier in the day when I was curious why you had responded quickly before and were then unable to do so when pressed. You were active 4 hours before my previous reply so definitely not your first time on DCP all day. 

It’s not a leap at all if you read the initial announcement from the organization. They literally say that they have a new, non-discrimination policy which allows women. That flat out implies that the male-only version of the corps was discriminating. Had they not wanted people to interpret it that way, they should have made a more basic statement, such as the Madison Scouts have adopted a new policy allowing individuals of any gender to participate. 

24 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

It’s not a leap at all if you read the initial announcement from the organization. They literally say that they have a new, non-discrimination policy which allows women. That flat out implies that the male-only version of the corps was discriminating. Had they not wanted people to interpret it that way, they should have made a more basic statement, such as the Madison Scouts have adopted a new policy allowing individuals of any gender to participate. 

By definition, the all male policy was discrimination. The Madison Scouts saying “We aren’t comfortable with this policy any longer” does not equal then saying “The Cavaliers are in the wrong for not having the same beliefs as us.” That’s inferring something that has never been stated. No one is out there trying to force their beliefs on someone else. They’re simply stating why they made the decision they did. 

• Like 1

I could have bet the house the drum major this year was going to be female.  Let's be honest, the Scouts made this decision to stop people pointing at the dumpster fire that really nothing to do with being all male or coed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I could have bet the house the drum major this year was going to be female.  Let's be honest, the Scouts made this decision to stop people pointing at the dumpster fire that really nothing to do with being all male or coed.

It couldn't be more obvious that you know next to nothing about the inner workings of the Madison Scouts and the directors from this statement. Perception is reality I suppose. It's sad that so many people like yourself would rather advance falsehoods than actually take the time to get real information. 

5 hours ago, tesmusic said:

thanks! one handed typing due to a broken wrist wore me out and i didnt elaborate further. and i know i'm not alone in viewing it that way based on reactions all over social media at that time.

i for one don't care that they added females. if it helps them good, tho i think the organizations issues aren't just gender based. Being all male hasn't hurt the Cavaliers despite the changes since Feidler skipped town.

Edited by Jeff Ream

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

thanks! one handed typing due to a broken wrist wore me out and i didnt elaborate further. and i know i'm not alone in viewing it that way based on reactions all over social media at that time.

i for one don't care that they added females. if it helps them good, tho i think the organizations issues aren't just gender based. Being all male hasn't hurt the Cavaliers despite the chsnges since Feidler skipped town.

Simply being included in a group of people that misinterpreted a message doesn't make the interpretation correct or accurate. The wording also could be in part due to the fact that the Scouts were accused of discrimination by an alumnus who wrote an article that got a lot of attention right around the same time that this process started. Is it not possible that after being accused, that the directors would go through a process of self evaluation and think "You know... I never thought about this but we ARE being discriminatory and I'm not comfortable with that being part of the legacy of this drum corps any longer." Better yet, why not just ask Chris or Dann how they feel personally about it and if the Madison Scouts have a stance on the issue? I guess actually seeking information isn't as much fun as accusing people of acting in bad faith.

For what it's worth, I was in favor of the corps staying all-male. I'm still coming around to the idea of a co-ed Madison Scouts. However, I also know Chris and Dann pretty well and the lengths that some people are going to to accuse them of various acts is ridiculous. It's really easy to send either one of them an e-mail and get answers to your questions.

43 minutes ago, weedyweidenthal said:

It couldn't be more obvious that you know next to nothing about the inner workings of the Madison Scouts and the directors from this statement. Perception is reality I suppose. It's sad that so many people like yourself would rather advance falsehoods than actually take the time to get real information. 

I think this counts as real information:

2019 - 17th place

2018 - 16th place

2017 - 12th place (!)

2016 - 13th place

I boldly claim not being coed had nothing to do with this recent placement record. I will further claim the move to coed was motivated by the need to *do something* to attempt to distract attention from Chris and Dann’s performance, which is unacceptable (my opinion).  “Discriminatory” is just the B.S. bow they wrapped it in.  The all male membership was no more discriminatory than all brass is for DCI.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 4