Madison Scouts 2020

On 1/11/2020 at 9:32 AM, wilder1966 said:

I think all the opinions in this thread matter to some degree, and show us just how complex this issue has become.  On 

one side, the alumni (very outspoken in many cases), and then the fans with enthusiasm, and in some cases unconvinced

about the changes in place.  This has become as big as the Madison Scouts legacy itself.  I find that its understandable 

how alumni would forever resist this change, and see where current trends in our culture influenced this change as well.

I have personally accepted what has changed knowing that this is here to stay.   My thoughts lately move to the plight of 

the Cavaliers.  Will they now find themselves under scrutiny, and a demand for the same changes?  Will the concede?  

When you consider the definition itself of  "Cavalier",  it seems obvious to me how they will respond if pressed.  

WOW!!! There really is a first time for everything...lol

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

She was indeed a GREAT DM for Blue Rock. 

I know this is off topic but her predecessor was a DM named Betty Ann and I stand corrected Mike,  Vicki was the early 70s.  Vicki had what we in the military called "command intonation".  When she gave a command on the field you heard her clearly and distinctly.

1 hour ago, Bucbari said:

I know this is off topic but her predecessor was a DM named Betty Ann and I stand corrected Mike,  Vicki was the early 70s.  Vicki had what we in the military called "command intonation".  When she gave a command on the field you heard her clearly and distinctly.

Yes, she did...Vicki had this amazing powerful voice in a small frame. Vicki was BR's DM for sure in 71, their greatest season. 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:17 PM, Jeff Ream said:

or Crossmens guard last year. dozens of corps discriminate against cymbal players

They also discriminate against and exclude old people!!! I'M TRIGGERED BY THIS AND NEED A SAFE PLACE, PUPPY AND STUFFED ANIMAL.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 8:28 PM, weedyweidenthal said:

Yes, they do. And that's ok.

Exactly right.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:43 PM, Mello Dude said:

He's right about if they were top 12 this would be a non-starter.  Basing your conclusions on the exceptions in the past is like saying everyone has 3 fingers and a thumb because someone somewhere was born with them.  I mean seriously, if you look back at ALL the bad show design decisions the last few years you should be asking WTF are they smoking to think that would be good.  There is absolutely no way you can blame the talent of the corps on what they were given to compete with.  Talent is So overrated as to almost be a non starter if you know how to teach that is.  I hope the best for them but I have like almost NO optimism for them pulling out of this spiral.  I've never seen a corps try to run away from itself and it's amazing history,

temet nosce

Well said and spot on 100% correct.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:46 PM, WarriorHal said:

For many years, what used to be called junior drum corps had coed corps, all boy corps, and all girl corps. In addition to competing against the all boy & coed corps, the all girl corps had their own competitions, including at major competitions like the World Open. Did anybody ever accuse the all girl corps of discriminating against boys? I seriously doubt it. My assumption is that the all girl corps gradually disappeared as the number of girls interested in joining such corps declined and the resulting financial repercussions of that lack of interest. Now we live in a politically correct culture where maintaining a decades long tradition, such as an all boy drum corps, is viewed as discriminatory, non-inclusive, and therefore bad. So the Scouts long tradition is gone. As the last hold out, I wonder if the Cavaliers are feeling pressure to board the non-discriminatory, inclusion train.

I hope not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an organization defining their membership guidelines. There are waaaaaay too many people these days worrying about what everyone else is doing when they should prioritize their own family and friends.  I have always told my kids to worry and think about themselves, their family and their friends, not others...and dont be a triggered snowflake.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wilder1966 said:

I don't see where the Cavs are not doing the right thing.  Ridiculous to suggest they they are in the wrong.  They have always been, and continue to be a male organization. The same was true of MS. Where was all this righteous rumbling when all girl corps were present?  If the intent of MS inclusion was to distract, it worked magnificently.

Yes.

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

Actually, there was. The Scouts administration/BOD decided to make this change. They are the ones who matter most. 

No there wasnt. The Scouts BOD is 100% incompetent as evidenced by CK's contract extension after 10 years of failure, lies and deceit.  

• Haha 1