Madison Scouts 2020

6 hours ago, FlamMan said:

You must of not been around in the 70's and 80's.

I can remember the common belief back in the day was that there were three groupings: 1-4 and many years it would be one of these corps that would win the title, 5-9, maybe 10, who would be the middle of the pack, and 10 or 11-15 were wild cards. By late a July you could usually predict the 1-4 and 5-9 or 10 groupings, and those battling 10 or 11-15. By August you could make reasonable predictions of who would win and who the finalists would be, but there were always surprises: Kilties in 78, Troopers in 79, SCV winning in 78, etc. This changed as judging changed. A lackluster performance hurt in GE. A sloppy performance hurt in execution categories. 

The poster is correct that at one time, not every corps had the full number of marching members which was 128, including some finalists. This changed by the mid 80’s when the judging changed, but for a while it was possible for a smaller corps, with say 100 members, to break into the top 25 or higher if they were clean. 

Edited by Tim K

I’m really hoping with the artists listed that this isn’t a cliche show in regards to the new membership direction.

Really don’t want a summer of “Its a mans, mans world” by James Brown and “Bad Guy”from Billie Eilish.

15 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

BAC jumped 6 places from 2016-2017, PC 6 places from 2018-19, and Spirit 5 places from 2017-18. Not saying that Scouts will in 2020, but big leaps have happened in the last few years.

If Madison wants a corps to copy, it would be Boston Crusaders. BAC has a strategic plan. Spirit had a bump up and some great shows, but they fell from finals. However in the past few years there has been steady improvement. My guess is they too, have a strategic plan. This seems to be what Madison needs, and may well have, and they have to keep persevering. 

It would be great to see Madison return to finals, though I would be happy to see solid, steady improvement, which is easy for me to say as a fan who is not staff, an alum or a marching member or parent of a marching member. 

• Like 2

Here's hoping the Billie Eilish song is either "when the party's over" or "ocean eyes," both of which I think would sound great on the field.

At the same time, however, I don't want to see a repeat of what they did to "715-CREEKS" last year. That ballad deserved a better arrangement, IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

I’m really hoping with the artists listed that this isn’t a cliche show in regards to the new membership direction.

Really don’t want a summer of “Its a mans, mans world” by James Brown and “Bad Guy”from Billie Eilish.

I'm guessing "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag". 

The optimism in this thread is getting contagious!  Keep up the good work, you will surely get your deserved rewards come June.  

• Like 2

Billie Eilish, huh?

You know, she's only 18. They should offer her a spot in the corps! 😄

20 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Billie Eilish, huh?

You know, she's only 18. They should offer her a spot in the corps! 😄

But her green hair would go better with Cavaliers (ducks)..... all I know is I saw her pic this week

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

The poster is correct that at one time, not every corps had the full number of marching members which was 128, including some finalists. This changed by the mid 80’s when the judging changed, but for a while it was possible for a smaller corps, with say 100 members, to break into the top 25 or higher if they were clean. 

One of my favorite early DCI finalists is the 1972 Kilties....saw them at the '72 World Open finals and they absolutely killed it that night.  I think they had something like 36 horns, if that many. Small but mighty... a great sound and show from them that year.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1