Recommended Posts

Remember that political posts are not permitted on DCP. Please keep the discussion pointed at the topic at hand. Thanks.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I mean how many kids are you really going to recruit from Japan to justify the cost of the trip? 

This is straying too far off topic, buuuuttt.....

Lots of talent in a totally untapped market for DCI corps, imo.  Maybe some of these Scouts can be Scouts, yaknowwudumsayin? 😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

This is straying too far off topic, buuuuttt.....

Lots of talent in a totally untapped market for DCI corps, imo.  Maybe some of these Scouts can be Scouts, yaknowwudumsayin? 😄

Do we really need to raid other countries for US drum corps recruits? No way this makes financial sense.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Do we really need to raid other countries for US drum corps recruits? No way this makes financial sense.

The cavaliers brass caption manager also does brass for Aimachi in Japan. While he’s over there I believe he holds auditions. For years the Cavaliers have had many members from Japan in their membership.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

  For years the Cavaliers have had many members from Japan in their membership.

As had many corps, especially past and present champions.

Edited by Ghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Simple question - Are madison scouts fans/alums happy with these moves?

From what I’m seeing on social media, the reaction to the announcement is overwhelmingly positive.  Jason Robb knows the brand and is a rising star in the marching arts activity.  Jenifo coming back is very exciting as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

He has an intense dislike for drum corps that don't solely recruit locally.

I'm assuming he also just generally hates the concept of globalization 

It is ok to recruit globally, but Corps should also recruit locally as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is ok to recruit globally, but Corps should also recruit locally as well

If one wants the Madison Scouts to be a top-competing DCI corps, the membership that the corps draws from can't be totally, primarily, or even mostly drawn from local Wisconsin programs.

This is not inherently a criticism of Wisconsin band programs. Students from there, however, when compared against students from many other parts of the country and world, do not *on average* bring the same skillsets of marching and playing that students in other regions do, and do not tend to turn out for auditions at the same rates as in other regions, and that strongly affects a group's ability to compete.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, regisminae said:

If one wants the Madison Scouts to be a top-competing DCI corps, the membership that the corps draws from can't be totally, primarily, or even mostly drawn from local Wisconsin programs.

This is not inherently a criticism of Wisconsin band programs. Students from there, however, when compared against students from many other parts of the country and world, do not *on average* bring the same skillsets of marching and playing that students in other regions do, and do not tend to turn out for auditions at the same rates as in other regions, and that strongly affects a group's ability to compete.

Nothing is wrong with auditioning members from all over the globe. Do they recruit from U of Wisc. band?  I believe they too hail from Madison.  Even 10-20% of members local enough to practice as a group a few times between camps could not hurt.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
to use more better English

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.