Madison Scouts 2020

36 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Eat a rock. 

Anyway, yes, vastly different styles. You have to know your audience and Leckrone knew that. I’m pretty sure the UW-Eau Claire rifle spinners and flag twirlers and shuffle step marchers would not go over well in most Big Ten bands, especially in Madison. That’s not to say one is good and one is bad or one is superior and one is inferior. They are different and neither style will last long if they don’t know their audience. So I’m assuming the UW-Eau Claire band style works for them in their setting, just as the stop at the top physical style works for the UW band. But to say one is “far superior” to the other is flat out wrong and shows a lack of understanding. Also - you will never succeed at building up your band by bashing another. 

This is totally spot on. 

46 minutes ago, xandandl said:

You cheddar-headers are really confusing the rest of us: https://www.uwsuper.edu/index.cfm

It will be okay. Hold hands and we will get through this together. Remember, eat the cheese curds before they cool down. You haven’t lived until you feel them squeaking when you chew. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gantang said:

Which leaves the less talented boys and girls earning a spot in Madison instead of not marching. It's hard to program and clean a show with poor talent. 

Ummmm.....no it's not.  I taught in the late '90's and we took whoever showed up - we didn't have the luxury of even ever thinking we would could have a full corps....and yet with just 68 members - we won division II and came in 15th in world class at DCI - it's not the kids that show up - its who can design and actually teach them.  

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Guardguy89 said:

Ummmm.....no it's not.  I taught in the late '90's and we took whoever showed up - we didn't have the luxury of even ever thinking we would could have a full corps....and yet with just 68 members - we won division II and came in 15th in world class at DCI - it's not the kids that show up - its who can design and actually teach them.  

Later,

Mike

‘96 Les Etoiles? 

7 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

‘96 Les Etoiles? 

Was that the year that the percussion switched off between snares and tenors and I remember Tommy Lee style spinning at the end? If so, that's the only thing I remember from Allentown that year.

Great pick up for Madison Scouts, I loved Blue Stars brass when he was on with them.  

Excited to hear what Jason Robb/Daniel Montoya Jr. come up with, they do some great stuff in the HS world and Montoya's stuff at Guardians was a blast, I could see him being a great fit for a more modern music program while still maintaining the energetic and entertaining approach that is true to the corps.  

• Like 2