Madison Scouts 2020

10 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Scouts went co-ed because they were no longer attracting the top talent among boys only. It really didn't have much to do with "political correctness', whatever that means (usually it means "not being a #### to people who are not white, heterosexual, fundamentalist Christians", but ymmv).

It was about survival as a competitive entity. But they couldn't say that, so they made it sound like it was about inclusiveness. Meh, it was a weak dodge, but probably less embarrassing than announcing that they were having a hard time getting Finalist level talent.

External pressure had nothing to do with it either, which is why The Cavaliers aren't facing any calls to change. They don't seem to have a problem recruiting talent requisite to be a consistent finalist.

there are several places online where people have called on Cavies to " do the right thing".

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention

13 hours ago, weedyweidenthal said:

It really doesn't matter if you say it 1 time or 100 times, you can still be wrong. The show design in recent years was below par. Most of us seem to agree on that. It held them back competitively. However, the statement you're making is not related to the competitiveness of the corps. You clearly don't know the leadership team if you make this statement. In fact, the issue of going co-ed goes back AT LEAST to my years in the corps in 2008-2011 and I would imagine it went back further considering that 2005 featured a female soloist... and so did 1971 with a few other female performers sprinkled in for exhibitions or parades between those years.

We talked about this earlier - I've seen the discussion in board minutes in like 2001, and someone else said it was a discussion among the board even back in the 70's.

Mike

37 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there are several places online where people have called on Cavies to " do the right thing".

Ok, I'll rephrase - there are no calls from anyone who actually matters for Cavaliers to change, and there's no indication from anyone I know there they've seriously considered the question.

• Like 2

I don't see where the Cavs are not doing the right thing.  Ridiculous to suggest they they are in the wrong.  They have always been, and continue to be a male organization. The same was true of MS. Where was all this righteous rumbling when all girl corps were present?  If the intent of MS inclusion was to distract, it worked magnificently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Ok, I'll rephrase - there are no calls from anyone who actually matters for Cavaliers to change, and there's no indication from anyone I know there they've seriously considered the question.

no one that matters called on Madison to change

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilder1966 said:

I don't see where the Cavs are not doing the right thing.  Ridiculous to suggest they they are in the wrong.  They have always been, and continue to be a male organization. The same was true of MS. Where was all this righteous rumbling when all girl corps were present?  If the intent of MS inclusion was to distract, it worked magnificently.

where was the woke crowd when Crossmen went all female with their guard last year?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wilder1966 said:

I know.... Ventures were a great corps - so many young men missed out on marching with a great corps back in the 80s -- I guess they all went to Allegiance Elite

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 9:12 PM, JeffreyJK68 said:

I know Dans was being sarcastic about “DCI has never had a female dm”...but it got me thinking

of some great ones over the years that led with charisma and talent....Kristi Spears Phantom 96-97,

Catherine Clarke BD 91,  Marcia Hanson Phantom 83-84, Becky Woods Star 85-87?, Ashley Tappen Star 90?

Any I’m forgetting?

go back even a little further, Vicki Drummond Blue Rock.  Late 60s

• Like 1