Madison Scouts 2020

7 hours ago, JAZZER said:

Band starts in 6th grade in his school district, and he got to choose his beginning instrument. What did the instructors recommend? [we know what Dad wanted!] 

Hi! My husband definitely wanted trumpet but a 6th grader wants to be opposite his dad, he wanted a woodwind. Instructors suggested Baritone. He went with the baritone! 

Obviously a successful HS program, as you have described it as wonderful, amazing, with competitive success. I'd be interested to know where this is, not necessarily by name, but locale. Does this program participate in BOA, other circuits?  Too bad missing HS July camps gets looked upon negatively.............that's rough.  Also would be interested in locale as far as proximity to MS Camps/home base.

My son will graduate from Homestead High School in Fort Wayne (about 2 hours north of Indy). They are a consistent top 3 in the state under Avon and Carmel as well as a BOA grand national finalist. Their previous band directors have all been very resistant to having HS kids do drum corps, but their new director works for the Bluecoats, so I see that mindset changing in the future. 

You and your husband's connections to different corps....

My husband marched with the Blue Devils (C,B, and A corps) from 1992-2000. I went to audition for Star of Indiana in the fall of 1993 (and we all know how that turned out). Most of my friends I taught color guard with are all over the place or retired now from the activity. My husband’s fellow BD alum are everywhere too including Cavies and Blue Knights (although he just took the summer off this year for the first time in ages). However, we still have connections at BD. Staff seem to move around a bunch! Oh, and I believe the marching staff from the Scouts last year are with the Crossmen, and they’re old instructors of mine long ago. We taught in the same circuit and stayed in touch!

Think it is quite an endorsement for current MS staff, that they were recommended by your knowledgeable corps connections AND that was your son's ONLY reason for auditioning there.

My son’s mindset is all about being the best. And in his young mind (and being pressed by his dad) the only option was the Blue Devils. However, this is not realistic these days (even with my in-laws living in Concord). Both financially and likely talent-wise with the fact that my son is inexperienced. So we reached out to friends (all listed above), and we got rave reviews about the staff at the Scouts. After talking with one particular friend who lived with and worked with the vis caption head, my son was very encouraged and excited to potentially work with these people. And here we are 🙂

Anyway, we as drum corps people know this is a family activity, and I’m so excited to help and get involved. 
I hope I answered all your questions!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angelee said:

Hi! ..........
I hope I answered all your questions!

Thanks for such a thorough, transparent, wholly & healthfully honest  response, that for my opinion is so refreshing.

Haven't read every post in this thread, but THESE human "interest" stories.........REAL kids in the ranks info/background, and YOU two parents longevity/story.......are what I'd like to read more.

That's why I asked..........kinda sensed YOU were the one who could put a REAL face to the current mm MS story.

Again, thanks for your reply.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

Thanks for such a thorough, transparent, wholly & healthfully honest  response, that for my opinion is so refreshing.

Haven't read every post in this thread, but THESE human "interest" stories.........REAL kids in the ranks info/background, and YOU two parents longevity/story.......are what I'd like to read more.

That's why I asked..........kinda sensed YOU were the one who could put a REAL face to the current mm MS story.

Again, thanks for your reply.

I know the internet is a hive of anonymity, but I’m likely more transparent than I should be 😂 My son hates that his parents are connected and he loves it at the same time.

He loves the variety in the Bari Euphs with the Scouts. He’s found a few good friends already with one from Brownsburg, one from Carroll Ft Wayne, one from Mt Orion (Michigan?). The section leader is super knowledgeable and extremely helpful to the rookies. The kid is on his game with answers. 
I’m happy to pass along any “inside” info An outside-looking-in parent can! Except show music and such. I know better. 😜

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Angelee said:

Hi! My husband definitely wanted trumpet but a 6th grader wants to be opposite his dad, he wanted a woodwind. Instructors suggested Baritone. He went with the baritone! 

Are you saying he went to corps with a woodwind background? Wondering as seems every time a woodwind wants to join a corps they shove a bari in his/her hands lol. And saw that back in the late 70s. I played trombone which meant I learned fingerings by reading them on the chart as I played.

Variety in Baris/euphs? Cue evil laugh as my all age corps had music majors playing lead, blue collar types playing 3rd and couple IT types on 2nd. Bari tech would talk in musical terms for the leads and sing what he wanted to the rest of us. 😆 Real mix and we got along well.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelee said:

I know the internet is a hive of anonymity, but I’m likely more transparent than I should be 😂 My son hates that his parents are connected and he loves it at the same time.

He loves the variety in the Bari Euphs with the Scouts. He’s found a few good friends already with one from Brownsburg, one from Carroll Ft Wayne, one from Mt Orion (Michigan?). 

Lake Orion, MI, perhaps? 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Are you saying he went to corps with a woodwind background? Wondering as seems every time a woodwind wants to join a corps they shove a bari in his/her hands lol. And saw that back in the late 70s. I played trombone which meant I learned fingerings by reading them on the chart as I played.

Variety in Baris/euphs? Cue evil laugh as my all age corps had music majors playing lead, blue collar types playing 3rd and couple IT types on 2nd. Bari tech would talk in musical terms for the leads and sing what he wanted to the rest of us. 😆 Real mix and we got along well.

I’m thinking dad suggested trumpet but son is a rebel and wanted a woodwind but compromised with baritone? Lol

(I fit the ww to bari mold)

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I’m thinking dad suggested trumpet but son is a rebel and wanted a woodwind but compromised with baritone? Lol

(I fit the ww to bari mold)

Dad wanted a trumpet player ... what kind of compromise is being a barri? Mello ... that’s a fair compromise. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3